和谐英语

您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语阅读 > 英语阅读|英语阅读理解

正文

习语也搞笑:15个有趣的英语惯用表达

2013-02-16来源:互联网
8. the lights are on, but nobody's home
8. 慢热

Used when describing a person struggles to fit into normal society, and subsequently rejected and described to people as a bit slow.
用来描述一个人努力想要融入社会但无法融入进去,还有点慢热的人。

Example: Don't ask Dudley if he knows it, because… well, you know, the lights are on but nobody is home.
例:用不着问达德利他知不知道。唔…你知道的,这人有点慢热。

9. when pigs fly
9. 完全不可能

The phrase "when pigs fly" is a response equal to "it will never happen", or "I will never do it".
这个习语的意思是“这件事是永远不可能的”,或是“我永远都不会这样做”。

Example: The things you want to create is can only be complete when pigs fly.
例:你要是能那些事做完,那猪都会飞了。

10. to have Van Gogh's ear for music
10. 音痴

If you have Van Gogh's ear for music, you are a tone deaf.
这样描述你的意思是:你是一个音痴。

Example: He has Van Gogh’s ear for music and sings like a rusty hinge.
例:他完全是个音痴,唱起歌来像生锈的门铰一样。

11. to pig out
11. 像猪一样吃东西

This idiom means eating too much of something; to make a pig of oneself.
这个习语的说的是吃的太多,吃得像猪一样。

Example: Don't you girls pig out on too much candy!
例:你们几个不要吃那么多糖,都吃成猪了!

12. everything but the kitchen sink
12. 什么乱七八糟的都有

Almost everything, whether needed or not.
几乎所有东西,无论是有用的还是没用的。

Example: She must have brought everything but the kitchen sink along on the trip, and how she lifted her suitcase, I do not know.
例:她一路上几乎什么都买了,不管是有用的还是没用的。我实在不知道她到底是怎么拎动她的手提箱的。

13. to put a sock in it
13. 闭嘴、别再说了

Asking a noisy person or a group to be quiet or to shut up.
让吵吵嚷嚷的单个人或一群人闭嘴。

Example: Oh, dry up; put a sock in it.
例:噢,你快给我闭嘴!

14. to have a cast iron stomach
14. 铁打的胃,吃多少喝多少都没问题

A person who has a cast iron stomach is someone who has no problems with eating anything or drinking anything.
这个习语指的是一个人吃多少喝多少都没问题。

Example: I cannot eat this type of food because i don’t have a cast iron stomach.
例:我不能吃这个东西,我的胃可不是铁打的。

15. use your loaf
15. 动动脑子

If you tell someone to use their loaf, you are telling them in a slightly angry way that they should think more carefully about what they are doing.
你跟别人说这个习语,就是说用有点生气的口吻让别人做事多动动脑子。

Example: You haven’t even switched the thing on. Come on, Jamie, use your loaf!
例:你连开关都没看。天哪,杰米,长点脑子吧!