美国总统奥巴马每周电台演讲:推动美国经济复苏
印第安纳州埃尔克哈特是我当选总统(访问)的第一个城镇。
I'd been on the job for three weeks, and we were just a few months into the worst economic crisis of our lifetimes.
我已工作三周,而在刚刚过去的几个月我们(经历了)这一生最严重的经济危机。
Elkhart was hit harder than most.
埃尔克哈特(曾)比大多数城市受打击得更严重。
Unemployment there peaked at nearly twenty percent shortly after my visit.
失业率峰值在我到访之后达到了几乎 20%。
Nearly one in five people there were out of work.
那里几乎五分之一的人们失业。
This week, I returned to Elkhart.
这周,我(又)回到了埃尔克哈特。
Unemployment there has now fallen to around four percent.
现在,失业率下降到大约 4%。
More families are back on sturdy ground; more are covered by health insurance; more of their kids are graduating from high school.
更多家庭回到了(这片)健壮的土地;更多的人被医疗保险保障;更多的孩子从高中毕业。
And it's no accident – it's because people there worked hard, and sacrificed, and looked out for each other.
而这绝非偶然-这是因为那里的人们辛勤工作,做出牺牲,彼此关照。
But it's also because we made a series of smart decisions early in my presidency.
但这同样是因为在我的总统任期内,我们早早地作出了一系列明智的决策。
To rescue the auto industry.
重振汽车业。
To help families refinance their homes.
助力房产贷款。
To invest in things like high-tech manufacturing, clean energy, and the infrastructure that creates good new jobs – not to mention the job training that helps folks earn new skills to fill those jobs.
投资高科技制造业,清洁能源,以及(可以)创造良好的新岗位的基础设施(建设)-更不必说帮助人们在工作中得到新技能的工作培训。
The results are clear.
结果显而易见。
America's businesses have created 14.5 million new jobs over 75 straight months.
美国的企业已经超过连续 75 个月创造了 1450 万新的工作岗位。
We've seen the first sustained manufacturing growth since the nineties.
自从上世纪九十年代,我们第一次看到了制造业的连续增长。
We've cut unemployment by more than half.
我们腰斩失业率。
Another 20 million Americans have health insurance.
又有 2000 万美国人得到了医疗保险(覆盖)。
And we've cut our deficits by nearly 75 percent.
并且,我们已削减几乎 75% 财政赤字。
We haven't fixed everything.
(但)我们并没有解决一切。
Wages, while growing again, need to grow faster.
工资,虽然再一次上涨,(但)需要增长的更快。
The gap between the rich and everyone else is still way too wide.
贫富差距仍太大。
Republicans in Congress have repeatedly blocked investments and initiatives that would have created jobs faster.
国会中的共和党一再阻碍可以更快创造就业岗位的投资和主动权。
But the middle class isn't getting squeezed because of minorities, or immigrants, or moochers, or anyone else we're told to blame for our problems.
(虽然)中产阶级没有受到压榨,但这是因为少数民族,移民,乞讨者,以及被告知要归咎于我们的其他任何人(在被压榨)。
If we're going to fix what needs fixing, we can't divide ourselves.
如果我们继续解决需要解决(的难题),我们将无坚不摧。
We've got to come together, around our common economic goals.
我们必须团结起来,围绕我们共同的经济目标。
We've got to push back against policies that protect powerful special interests, and push for a better deal for all working Americans.
我们必须抵制保护强权的政策,并推行利于美国劳动者更好待遇(的政策)。
That's the choice you'll get to make this year.
这将是今年你们可以做出的选择。
Between policies that raise wages, and policies that won't.
(选择)提薪或是不提薪的政策。
Between strengthening Social Security and making it more generous, or making it harder to help people save and retire.
(选择)加强并更加健全社会保障,或使其难以帮助人们储蓄和退休。
Between strengthening the rules we put on Wall Street to prevent another crisis, or dismantling them.
(选择)加强对华尔街实施以预防新危机的裁定,或是废除这些裁定。
Between a tax code that's fair for working families, or wasteful tax cuts for a fortunate few at the very top.
(选择)对工薪家庭公平的税额,或是为幸运的顶层阶级巨大的税减。
Over the past seven years, we've proven that progress is possible.
在过去的七年间,我们已经证明,发展是可能的。
But it's not inevitable.
但这并不是必然发生的。
It depends on us.
这取决于我们(自己)。
It depends on the choices we make.
这取决于我们作出的选择。
And if we come together, around our common values, and our belief in opportunity for everyone who puts in the effort – then we'll deliver on a brighter future for all of us.
而如果我们团结,围绕我们的共同价值观和所有奋斗者对于机遇的信念-那么我们将拥有一个属于我们所有人的更加光明的前途。
Thanks, and have a great weekend.
感谢大家(倾听),并祝周末愉快。