和谐英语

您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语听力 > 其他品牌英语 > 科学美国人

正文

亚马逊雨林树上的声音(2)

2021-11-18来源:和谐英语

Tell me a little bit about sounding a canopy.

告诉我一些关于探测树冠声音的事。

We’re so used to hearing sounds that bounce off of hard surfaces all around us without realizing it: walls, ceilings, ground, buildings.

我们太习惯于听到从我们周围坚硬的表面反弹而没有意识到的声音:墙壁、天花板、地面、建筑物。

What does it sound like when you’re up in midair?

当你在半空中的时候听起来是什么样子?

“Well, there’s multiple types of reflection going on in the cloud forest and also in the rain forest as well.

“嗯,云雾森林和热带雨林中也有多种类型的反射。

And those surfaces are very waxy.

这些表面非常柔软。

The leaves have a certain geometry and, depending on the season, frogs and bats can use a geometry of the leaves to strategically to hunt with.

树叶有一定的几何形状,根据季节的不同,青蛙和蝙蝠可以使用树叶的几何形状来策略性地捕猎。

So if bats are hunting at night, they can ricochet their echolocation off of a leaf configuration and find moths that way.

因此,如果蝙 蝠在夜间捕食,它们可以从树叶结构上反弹回声定位,这样就可以找到飞蛾。

“The length of songs and the wavelength of songs and things like that and communication are really based on those surfaces.

“歌曲的长度,歌曲的波长,诸如此类的东西,交流都是基于这些表面的。

And they’re very different than a North American temperate forest.

它们与北美的温带森林有很大的不同。

So if you were recording in, say, British Columbia in the Sitka spruce,

所以,如果你在不列颠哥伦比亚省的锡特卡云杉上录音,

the sound will go out and almost doesn’t come back because there’s so much organic on the trunks.

声音就会出去,几乎不会回来,因为树干上有太多的有机物质。

And that’s not the case in the Amazon.

但亚马逊的情况并非如此。

The trunks of these Cebu trees and things like that are not covered with moss the same way they might be in the North American temperate forest, even though that’s incredibly wet.

这些宿务树的树干和诸如此类的东西并不像北美温带森林那样覆盖着苔藓,尽管那里非常潮湿。

“It’s also very new territory for looking at ecologies, sound, so we’re really learning about that.

“对于研究生态学来说,这也是一个非常新的领域,所以我们真的在学习这方面的知识。

So there’s a lot of enthusiastic people doing this work.

所以有很多热心的人在做这项工作。

And these devices were talking about, these audio moths, are becoming really instrumental

而这些设备,这些音频飞蛾,正在变得非常有用,

so that if you can set out an array of 100 of these and come back in a month

所以如果你能摆出100个这样的设备,一个月后再回来

—and they’ll hold a charge for a month, and they’re really small;

-它们可以充电一个月,而且它们真的很小;

you can fit them in the palm of your hand

你可以把它们放在你的手掌上-

—you would gather more data than had ever been taken, in relation to this forest.

你会收集到比以往任何时候都多的关于这片森林的数据。

It’s a good time for doing this work.

所以现在是做这项工作的好时机。

That’s a lot of data.

“所以这是一个很庞大的数据。

I imagine it’s not exactly easy to just pull the good stuff right out.

我想直接把好东西拿出来不是件容易的事。

“So visually, you can, you can look at the spectrograms.

“所以在视觉上,你可以,你可以看这些声谱图。

So once you understand what you know the visual print of the sound is, then you could scroll through things.

所以一旦你理解了声音的视觉印记是什么,然后你就可以滚动浏览了。

But scrolling through things for a month’s worth of data is very daunting.

但是,滚动浏览一个月的数据是非常令人望而生畏的。

So you can actually have an artificial intelligence.

所以你可以使用人工智能。

It's a kind of training done on the sound itself but also on the spectrogram.

这是一种对声音本身和声谱图的训练。

“You can process this in the cloud when you get back here.

“当你回到这里时,你可以在云端处理这件事。

This is also something taht, you know, done with ocean recording,

这也是海洋记录所做的事情,

where they’re able to put out ocean recorder s for a month

在那里他们可以放一个月的海洋记录器

to listen to mammalian communication with pinnipeds or whales or any of those things.

来听哺乳动物与鳍脚亚目动物或鲸鱼或其他动物的交流。

“We really want to do this with long-term recordings for the pink river dolphins.

“我们真的想用粉色河豚的长期录音来做这件事。

But because the river goes up and down 20 to 30 feet every year,

但是因为这条河每年有20到30英尺的起伏,

we’re trying to figure out where we deploy those recorders that could be out there as a big hard drive recording

我们试图找出我们在哪里部署那些可以作为大硬盘录音的录音机,

and bring it back to the studio and then go through it with AI or visually to see where we can find interesting things happening.”

然后把它带回录音棚,然后用人工智能或视觉来看看我们可以在哪里发现有趣的事情发生。”

It sounds like we’re only beginning to understand what these ecosystems sound like, and there’s so much more to discover.

听起来我们才刚刚开始了解这些生态系统是什么样的,还有很多东西等待发现。

“This is kind of a golden era, right now, for ecoacoustics.

“现在,对于生态声学来说,这是一个黄金时代。

But conversely, Bernie Krause, who’s been recording since the 1970s and 1980s,

但相反,伯尼·克劳斯自20世纪70年代和80年代以来一直在录音,

They said that 85 percent of what he recorded has gone extinct already, in terms of acoustic ecologies.

他们认为,就声学生态而言,他录制的东西中有85%已经灭绝。

So it’s changing every day like we know is happening in our world.

所以它每天都在变化,就像我们知道的世界正在发生的一样。

And what we’re trying to catch up to is disappearing as fast as we’re getting new data.

我们试图追赶的东西消失的速度和我们获取新数据的速度一样快。

”With that, I think it’s a good time to climb to where we can hear better.

“基于这一点,我认为现在是爬到能听得更清楚的地方的好时机。

Thank you, Tim, for sharing you working sounds with us over the last three episodes of the 60-Second Science podcast.

蒂姆,感谢你在最后三集60秒科学播客中与我们分享你的工作声音。

And thank you to all the listeners for tuning in.

感谢各位听众收听。

We will have more experimental features like this in the podcast in the future.

在未来的播客中,我们会有更多这样试验的专题节目。

Until then: earphones on.

在此之前:戴上耳机。