名利的游戏 The fame game
2016-07-14来源:和谐英语
Update Required
To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin.
大家好,我是Neil。欢迎收听今天的六分钟英语节目。今天和我搭档做节目的是谁呢?女士们先生们,请容我隆重介绍Finn!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you sound effects! Thank you, Neil! Is this all for me? I feel like quite a?celebrity!
谢谢!谢谢!谢谢音响师!谢谢你,Neil!这都是为我准备的吗?感觉自己成了“名人”!
Yes, a celebrity – someone famous - particularly someone in?show business, that’s the world of entertainment, theatre and film. Today we’re talking about fame, and teaching you some related vocabulary.
是的,名人——就是一些非常出名的人,一般是指演艺界人士。就是从事娱乐、喜剧以及电影工作的人。今天,我们要来讨论的话题就是名声、名望,并教给大家一些相关词汇。
Yes. Some celebrities are famous for their?talent, which means by their ability to do something well, like singing, acting or telling jokes …
没错,很多名人都有自己突出的才能,意思就是他们擅长做某些事情,如唱歌、表演或者讲好笑的故事等……
And others are famous for…well, for being famous or being associated with someone who is.The names Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian come to mind: wealthy women with their own TV shows. But, talking about celebrity, let me ask you a question.
还有一些人出名是因为……因为自己有名或者和某些人有关系。提到Paris Hilton和Kim Kardashian的时候我们就会想到有钱的女人和她们自己的电视节目。但是,提到名人,让我先来问你个问题。
Actually Neil, only if you play that lovely applause again.? Go on Neil!
其实Neil,如果你能再来一次刚才那个有趣的音效就好了。来吧,Neil!
I knew you would love this. Right. Here it goes.
我就知道你会喜欢这个的。来吧,再来一次。
Yes! Anyway, Neil... I can give you my?autograph?later…
太棒了!Neil,一会我可以给你来张亲笔签名……
You mean signature? An autograph is the signature of a?famous?person, Finn. Fans collect these and things like photographs.
你的意思是你的签字?autograph就是名人的签字。粉丝们会收集一些像签名之类的东西。
Yes, we call things like those?memorabilia.
没错,我们把这些东西叫做纪念品。
For example, Michael Jackson’s leather glove with shiny crystals - it became very famous in the 1980s when he presented his moonwalk to the world. How much was it sold for at auction in 2009? Was it:a) US$ 150,000b) US$ 250,000 orc) US$ 350,000
比方说,Michael Jackson的闪耀水晶皮手套——在20世纪80年代,他在全世界观众面前展示了自己的太空漫步,然后他的皮手套造型就火了。你知道在2009年它拍卖的价格是多少吗?a)150,000美金b)250,000美金c)350,000美金
I think Michael Jackson has some big fans in the world so I’ll say c) US$ 350,000.
Michael Jackson有那么多粉丝,我猜答案是c)35万美元
Okay. I’ll give you the answer at the end of the programme.
好的,节目最后告诉你答案。
So the idea of celebrity seems very modern in some ways – does it have a long history?
名人这个概念从某种意义来说是十分现代的——它有什么历史吗?
Well, Lord Byron, a very famous English poet born in 1788, is considered by some experts to be the world’s first modern-style celebrity. Let’s hear Dr Corin Throsby, English Literature researcher at Cambridge University.
拜伦勋爵,生于1788年,是英国著名诗人。专家认为,他就是世界上第一个现代名人。让我们来听听剑桥大学英国文学研究者Corin Throsby博士是怎么说的吧。
Why was Byron a celebrity?
为什么Byron是名人?
Listen out for the noun she uses in the first sentence meaning a product, or something for sale.
听听她第一句用了哪个名词来表示产品或者商品。
If we think of celebrity as the moment where someone’s personality becomes a commodity. So, for Byron the fact that he was popular on this scale that had never been achieved before because his career had coincided with mass printing. But something more than that, that there was a sort of a secondary industry of Byron stuff, you know, that there were Byron neck ties, people wanted to look like Byron. There was this mass of people that loved him. He could no longer control his image. I think that’s what separates celebrity from the fame that had preceded that.
如果我们想到名人的时候会认为是某人的性格变成了商品。但事实上。Byron的出名是前所未有的,因为他的事业刚好和印刷术的发展不期而遇。还要提到的一点是关于Byron还有第二项产业,你知道吗,那个时候甚至有Byron领带,因为人们想要打扮的像Byron那样。有好多人疯狂的喜欢他。他已无法控制自己的形象。我想这就是和过去的名人相区分的一点。
So the noun was ’a commodity’. She said that when someone’s personality becomes a product, that’s when they turn into a celebrity.?
她用了名词“a commodity”。她说当某人的性格变成商品的时候,就是他们变成名人的时候?
She talked of fame so big you can’t control your own image – that’s your reputation, the way other people think about you and imagine you. Someone interesting in this respect is Justin Bieber.
她还说当一个人的名气变得非常大的时候,他甚至无法控制自己的形象了——那就是名声的原因,人们会另样看待你并产生许多幻想。Justin Bieber身上就发生了类似有趣的事。
Yeah. Are you a fan, Neil?
是啊,你是他的粉丝吗,Neil?
I’m a massive fan of Justin Bieber. I love him.
我是Justin Bieber的忠实粉丝,我爱死他啦。
I believe you.
我相信。
He’s a big name and he’s always in the newspapers. His fans are called ’Beliebers’…
他很有名,总是能上报纸头条。他的粉丝被叫做“Beliebers”……信仰者
and Byron’s fans were called ’Byron maniacs’. That’s the name his wife gave his adoring fans. Though she wasn’t too happy about them.
Byron的粉丝被叫做“Byron狂热者”。这个名字是Byron的妻子起的。虽然她并不是很喜欢他们。
Yes. Byron’s life was full of scandals, actions which cause shock and disapproval among people.
没错,Byron的妻子有很多丑闻,她的一些行为让人们非常震惊,人们也很不赞同。
And for Byron it was mainly his love life. He had affairs with men and women.?
但对Byron来说,那主要就是他的爱情生活。他和一些男人和女人有着不同寻常的关系。
For Justin Bieber it’s about his behaviour. He was accused of driving after drinking alcohol, and of?vandalism.
而Justin Bieber主要是他的行为问题。他被指控酒后开车,还有一些破坏行为。
Vandalism means causing damage to property.
Vandalism就是指对一些财产造成破坏。
Poor Justin Bieber!
可怜的Justin Bieber!
Though he’s very popular - his career started when he was in his early teens and I think it must have been difficult growing up with this global fame. Still, I wonder how much his autograph is worth in the current market…
虽然他很出名——他少年的时候就成了名人,我想,他在这种全球闻名的光环下成长确实不太容易。我还是想知道他的亲笔签名在现在市场上值多少钱……
Well,I don’t know about Justin Bieber’s autograph but I do know about Michael Jackson’s shiny glove. It became iconic in the 1980s, but how much was it sold for? Was it US$ 150,000; US$ 250,000 or c) US$ 350,000?
我不知道 Justin Bieber的签名值多少钱,但是我知道Michael Jackson水晶手套的价钱。他的手套在20世纪80年的时候变成标志性服饰,那它拍卖了多少钱呢?是150,000美元,250,000美元,还是350,000美元呢?
I said c) US$ 350,000.
我猜是350,000美元吧。
And you were right.
你猜对了。
Wow! That’s rare.
哇!这可真稀奇。
Did you buy it?
是你买的吗?
It wasn’t me. No.
不,可不是我。
Well, our time’s up but let’s remember the words we heard from today. Finn.
好的,我们今天的节目也快要结束了,下面让我们来回顾一下今天学到的单词吧,Finn。
We heard:celebrityshow businesstalentautographmemorabiliacommodityimagescandalvandalism
我们学到的单词有:名人娱乐业才能签字纪念品商品形象丑闻破坏行为
That’s it for today. Please join us again soon for 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
好的,这就是全部的内容啦。希望大家下次继续收听我们的六分钟英语节目。
Neil?
Neil?
What?
怎么了?
You know what. Go on.
你知道的,来吧。
Okay. One more time.
好吧,再来一次。
You love it as well, don’t you?
你也很喜欢,不是吗?
I do. It’s great. I’ll join in.
确实,这听起来很棒。
Bye.
再见。
相关文章
- 无人机的兴起The rise of drones
- 想当爸爸了Fathers
- 章鱼有多聪明?How intelligent is the octopus?
- 科技能解决所有问题吗?Is technology always the solution?
- 游戏是一项运动吗?Is gaming a sport?
- 世界杯让你兴奋吗?Are you excited about the World Cup?
- 足球之歌:为什么现在观众如此安静?Football songs: Why are crowds so quiet these days?
- 互联网是好是坏?Is the internet good or bad?
- 婚姻前景The future of marriage
- 机器人治疗师Robot therapist