您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语听力 > VOA英语听力下载|VOA news > VOA慢速英语|美国之音慢速英语听力下载
正文
一个人的垃圾是另一个人的宝藏
2024-08-13来源:和谐英语
Update Required
To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin.
现在,来自VOA英语学习的《单词与故事》。
People around the world share many things in common.
世界各地的人们有很多共同之处。
But we are also different from each other.
但我们也各不相同。
Not only do we look, think, and act differently, but we also like different things.
我们不仅外貌、思维和行为不同,而且喜好也各异。
Even identical twins may look the same but are very different individuals.
即使是同卵双胞胎,他们看起来相同,但却是非常不同的个体。
On today's program, we will look at a few expressions to describe how no person is exactly the same as another.
在今天的节目中,我们将看看一些表达,来描述没有一个人和另一个人是完全相同的。
The first expression involves trash and treasure.
第一个表达涉及垃圾和宝藏。
When we say one person's trash is another person's treasure,
当我们说一个人的垃圾是另一个人的宝藏时,
we mean that something that one person may consider worthless could be highly prized or valued by someone else.
我们的意思是,一个人认为毫无价值的东西,可能会被另一个人高度珍视或看重。
Let's hear an example of how to use this expression:
让我们听一个如何使用这个表达的例子:
A: I really don't understand the appeal of Jackson Pollock's paintings. To me, they look like a team of monkeys painted them!
A: 我真的不理解杰克逊·波洛克的画有什么吸引力。对我来说,它们看起来像是猴子团队画的!
B: I love Pollock's paintings. I see something new every time I look at them.
B: 我喜欢波洛克的画。我每次看它们都会发现新的东西。
A: Well, I guess it's true what they say, one person's trash is another person's treasure.
A: 好吧,我想他们说得对,一个人的垃圾是另一个人的宝藏。
Now, rubbish and garbage mean the same as trash.
现在,“rubbish”和“garbage”与“trash”意思相同。
But, in this expression, we use trash because the “tr” in trash and treasure makes the expression sound more natural.
但在这个表达中,我们使用“trash”,因为“trash”和“treasure”中的“tr”使表达听起来更自然。
It just sounds better.
听起来更好。
And, sometimes, we use the word "man" in place of "person" such as one man's trash is another man's treasure.
而且,有时我们会用“man”代替“person”,比如“one man's trash is another man's treasure”。
Again it is just easier to say.
同样,这样说更容易。
Another expression with a similar meaning is different strokes for different folks.
另一个含义相似的表达是“different strokes for different folks”。
This also means that different things appeal to different people.
这也意味着不同的事物吸引不同的人。
But as a set expression, we do not say “different strokes for different people.”
但作为固定表达,我们不说“different strokes for different people”。
That just doesn't sound right.
那样听起来不对。
Different strokes for different folks can also mean that people live in different ways and value different things.
“different strokes for different folks”也可以意味着人们以不同的方式生活,并重视不同的事物。
For example, a perfect evening for my friend is to go out and dance all night long.
例如,对我的朋友来说,完美的夜晚是出去跳舞一整晚。
For me, a perfect evening is to stay at home with a book and a cup of tea.
对我来说,完美的夜晚是待在家里,捧着一本书和一杯茶。
Neither is a better way to spend the evening.
两者都不是度过夜晚的更好方式。
So, we should not judge.
所以,我们不应该评判。
Or in other words, different strokes for different folks.
换句话说,因人而异,各有所好。
When we want to say that we are all different and we like different things without judgment,
当我们想说我们都是不同的,并且我们喜欢不同的东西时,而不进行评判,
we can also use the following expressions:
我们也可以使用以下表达:
It takes all kinds to make the world go round.
世界因不同而美妙。
It takes all kinds.
百样人,百样事。
To each his (her) own.
各有所好。
Whatever floats your boat.
随心所欲。
They all mean ... whatever makes you happy!
它们都意味着……随你开心!
And all of these expressions have the same general meaning:
所有这些表达都有相同的总体意义:
We are all different and unique.
我们都是不同的和独特的。
And that's the end of this Words and Their Stories.
这就是《单词与故事》的结束。
Until next time, I'm Anna Matteo.
下次见,我是安娜·马特奥。
Anna Matteo wrote this lesson for VOA Learning English.
安娜·马特奥为VOA英语学习撰写了这节课。
- 上一篇
- 下一篇
相关文章
- Blue Origin Sends Oldest Person into Space
- What to Do If Your Personal Data Has Been Exposed
- Google to Destroy Billions of Personal Data Files as Part of Legal Settlement
- Study Looks at How 15-year-olds Learn English
- NASA Prepares for First Flight of Its New Supersonic Jet
- What Are Hypersonic Weapons and Which Nations Have Them?
- Young People’s English Language Skills Decreasing
- Personification, Adjectives in 'Take Me Home, Country Roads'
- VOA Learning English Presents 'A Visit from St. Nicholas'
- English Professor Uses Board Games to Teach Climate Change