魔鬼口语1000句(二十一):鲜花插在牛粪上
1. She's a kept woman.
她是个二奶。
►kept woman 外室,靠男人养活的姘妇,二奶
e.g. Who would ever believe that a kept woman wrote that! 谁能相信这是一个风尘女子的手笔!
2. Courage will carry you through.
勇气会助你渡过难关。
►carry through 完成,贯彻,进行;帮助克服困难
e.g. We must carry the experiment through to the end, not give up halfway. 这项试验一定要搞到底,不能半途而废。
e.g. The task is difficult but the enthusiasm will carry him through. 任务是困难的,可是他的热情会使他坚持到底。
3. I’ll never go cap in hand to him.
我才不会求他。
►go cap in hand to 必恭必敬,卑躬屈节
4. I hate his guts.
我恨死他了。
5. My dad is a real stick-in-the-mud.
我爸是个老古板。
►stick-in-the-mud 作名词时用来比喻顽固和墨守成规的人;作形容词时表示保守的,思想迟钝的
e.g. Don't be such a stick-in-the-mud! 别这么死脑筋嘛!
6. Time is of the essence.
时间紧迫。
7. I know him by reputation.
我听说过他。
►by reputation 由(或通过)名声;由于知名度;靠名气
e.g. I know Frank Cowperwood by reputation, anyhow. 无论如何,我是久仰法兰克·柯帕乌的大名的。
同为久仰之意的还有:I get mind of you. / I have heard so much about you.
8. I shall be with you in spirit.
我精神上支持你。
►in spirit 在内心,在精神上,心灵上
e.g. He is troubled in spirit. 他内心苦恼。
9. He is a thorn in my side.
他是我的眼中钉。
►a thorn in the side (flesh) 肉中刺;棘手的事,不断使某人烦恼的根源
e.g. I wonder why I become a thorn in their side. I've never harmed them. 不知为什么我成了他们的眼中钉了。我可从未错待过他们。
10. Beauty and the beast.
一朵鲜花插在牛粪上了。