魔鬼口语1000句(六十七):没有恶意
1. He was sent up for three years.
他蹲了三年监狱。
►send up 发射,射出;使…上升(或上涨);讽刺,挖苦,为嘲弄而模仿。在口语中有“判决坐牢”的意思
2. If she finds out, the balloon will go up.
要是她发现可就糟了。
3. She has no qualms about lying.
她撒起谎来脸都不带红的。
4. Answer me unambiguously.
请正面回答。
5. Actually I’m a man of the old school.
其实我很传统。
►the old school 旧的,旧式样的;保守派,守旧派。而与此相对的the new school 就是新式派的意思。
e.g. Her father, whom she loved dearly, was of the old school. 她的父亲,她深爱的父亲,却是老派人物。
6. Some work experience will stand you in good stead.
积累点工作经验对你有好处。
►stand sb. in good stead 给某人好处,对某人有利,对某人大有帮助
e.g. My father's words stand me in good stead for the rest of my life. 父亲的话对我一生都很有帮助。
7. You’re fighting a losing battle.
不要垂死挣扎了。
►losing battle 必败之仗,取胜无望的战斗
e.g. It's a losing battle trying to persuade Henry to take more exercise. 要说服亨利多运动纯属徒劳。
8. You don’t have to be so deferential.
你不必这么恭恭敬敬的。
9. I bear him no malice.
我对他没有恶意。
10. She’s taken up with a bunch of artistes.
她最近经常跟一帮艺人来往。
►take up with 开始与…交往;致力于…,热衷于…;采纳;赞成
e.g. He took up with smugglers. 他和走私犯混到一块儿去了。