我们讲的英语第88期:To bend over backwards 竭尽全力
Neil: Hello. I'm Neil.
尼尔:大家好,我是尼尔。
Helen: I'm Helen. And Neil is speaking in that rather strange voice because he's in a strange position.
海伦:我是海伦。尼尔用那种非常奇怪的声音说话,原因是他现在的姿势非常奇怪。
Neil: That's right. I'm bending over backwards–or trying to.
尼尔:没错。我正在向后弯腰,或者是试图向后率。
Helen: Bending over backwards. The problem is that you're not very flexible are you?
海伦:向后弯腰。问题是你不是很灵活,不是吗?
Neil: No. Even if I bend forwards I can hardly touch my knees, and certainly not my toes.
尼尔:对。即使我向前弯腰,我也很难碰到膝盖,当然更碰不到脚趾了。
Helen: Well, look at me!
海伦:嗯,看看我!
Neil: Wow! Helen! I had no idea you could do that! You can bend over backwards all the way to the floor!
尼尔:哇!海伦!我都不知道你能做到!你竟然能向后弯腰,并手掌触地!
Helen: Yes. Anyway, maybe we should explain why we're bending over backwards.
海伦:对,不管怎样,可能我们要解释一下我们为什么要向后弯腰。
Neil: Oh, yes, of course. That's because today's phrase is:
尼尔:哦,对,当然了。那是因为我们今天要学习的短语就是:
Helen & Neil: To bend over backwards!
海伦&尼尔:To bend over backwards!!
Helen: Listen to these examples and see if you can guess what it means.
海伦:来听几个例子,看看大家能否猜出这个短语的意思。
I would bend over backwards for you–just let me know how I can help.
我会竭尽全力帮你,只要告诉我我怎么能帮到你。
Julia bent over backwards to make sure everything was right for their visit.
朱莉亚竭尽全力确保他们访问期间一切顺利。
Neil: Did you guess the meaning of 'to bend over backwards'?
尼尔:你猜到这个短语的意思了吗?
Helen: It means to go to great lengths or to put in a lot of effort for someone or something.
海伦:意思就是为某人或者某事想尽办法或是付出大量努力。
Neil: Like, "I would bend over backwards to make you happy", Helen.
尼尔:比如“我会竭尽全力让你幸福”,海伦。
Helen: Ahhhh. Thank you Neil. Let's hear some more examples:
海伦:啊,谢谢你,尼尔。我们再来看几个例子:
I bent over backwards to get Jim what he wanted, but he never thanked me.
我想尽办法让吉姆得到他想要的东西,但是他从来没有谢过我。
I'll help you a bit, but don't expect me to bend over backwards.
我会帮你一点,但是别指望我会不遗余力地帮你。
Neil: Oh, ooof!
尼尔:哦,天哪!
Helen: Are you okay?
海伦:你还好吧?
Neil: I need to sit down, I think I've hurt my back!
尼尔:我要坐下来,我想我弄伤了我的后背!
Helen: Ah, Neil, you must be careful not to bend over backwards too often!
海伦:尼尔,你要小心,向后弯腰不要做过太频繁!
Neil: Yes.
尼尔:没错。
Helen: Or you should just bend over backwards figuratively, but not literally! That's all for now. Bye!
海伦:或者你应该象征性地做一下,而不是按字面意思做!我说完了。再见!
Neil: Bye!
尼尔:再见!
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移