我们讲的英语第130期:To Nick 偷窃和逮捕
Helen: Hello, and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is Helen.
海伦:大家好,欢迎收看地道英语节目。我是海伦。
Rob: And I'm Rob.
罗布:我是罗布。
Helen: I saw you looking for your headphones earlier; did you find them?
海伦:我看到你刚刚在找耳机。你找到了吗?
Rob: No, Helen. I looked for them everywhere. Someone must have nicked them.
罗布:没有,海伦。我到处都找过了。肯定是被人偷了。
Helen: Nicked them? What do you mean?
海伦:Nicked?那是什么意思?
Rob: Oh, sorry, what I mean is someone stole my headphones. To nick something means to steal something.
罗布:哦,抱歉,我的意思是有人偷了我的耳机。To nick something的意思是偷某物。
Helen: That's terrible. But how is it spelt?
海伦:那真糟糕。不过那个词要怎么拼?
Rob: It's spelt N.I.C.K. nick, to nick something.
罗布:拼写是N.I.C.K。to nick sth.偷某物。
Helen: My son's best friend is called Nick. It's the same spelling, isn't it?
海伦:我儿子最好的朋友的名字就是尼克。拼写是一样的,对吧?
Rob: It is, but not the same meaning. Here the word 'nick' is a verb and it's British slang too.
罗布:一样,但是意思不同。这里nick这个词是个动词,是英语俚语。
Helen: Let's hear a couple of examples. What items have been stolen?
海伦:我们来听几个例子。看看有什么物品被偷了?
Man: Someone nicked my bike this morning.
男:今天上午有人偷了我的自行车。
Lady: Oh, no. Did you report it to the police?
女士:哦,不。你报警了吗?
Man: Yes, I did.
男:已经报警了。
Man 1: Where are the chocolate biscuits I was saving? I am sure I saw them yesterday.
男1:我收起来的巧克力饼干去哪里了?我确定我昨天还看到过。
Man 2: Sorry, I don't know. Blame Dave, he's always nicking things.
男2:抱歉,我不知道。问问戴夫,他总是偷东西。
Rob: So, one of them lost a bike and the other one lost his chocolate biscuits.
罗布:所以,他们其中一个人丢了自行车,另一个丢了巧克力饼干。
Helen: Unlucky chaps. Maybe the police can help them.
海伦:不幸的家伙。也许警察能帮助他们。
Rob: Yes. The police can definitely help them by nicking those petty thieves.
罗布:对。警察绝对会帮他们抓住那些小偷。
Helen: That's very confusing. The police can nick too? They can steal?
海伦:这真令人困惑。警察也会偷东西吗?他们也偷东西?
Rob: No, no, no, no. The police can't nick things from people. But when they arrest someone, we can say the person is nicked. It means they're arrested by the police.
罗布:不,不,不是那个意思。警察不会从民众那里偷东西。警察逮捕罪犯,这个时候我们就可以说那个人被逮捕了。意思是他们被警察逮捕了。
Woman: Have you heard from Inspector James?
女:你有检查官詹姆斯的消息吗?
Man: No. He's working on a big case. I think they have just nicked the main suspect!
男:没有。他正在办一个大案子。我想他们已经抓住主要嫌犯了!
Helen: So if a criminal is caught by the police, then we can say he's nicked.
海伦:所以,如果罪犯被警察抓住了,我们就可以说he's nicked。
Rob: That's right. Let's go over the two meanings of the verb 'to nick'. First, if something is nicked, it means it's stolen.
罗布:没错。我们再来回顾一下动词nick的两个意思。第一个意思,如果某件东西is nicked,意思是这件东西被偷了。
Helen: Like my pen got nicked.
海伦:比如我的钢笔被偷了。
Rob: Yes, that's right. But if a person gets nicked, we mean he's arrested by the police.
罗布:对,没错。但是如果一个人gets nicked,意思是他被警察逮捕了。
Helen: A comedian got nicked for throwing a pie at Rupert Murdoch.
海伦:一名喜剧演员因向鲁珀特·默多克扔馅饼而被捕。
Rob: Yes, he did. Helen, you've got it. Just remember it's not a formal expression.
罗布:对,没错。海伦,你完全掌握了这个词。要记住这不是个正式表达。
Helen: Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. Bye for now.
海伦:谢谢你。我会记住的。现在该说再见了。
Rob: Bye!
罗布:再见!
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移