我们讲的英语第158期:Rabbit in the Headlights 被震住了
Finn: Hello. I'm Finn.
芬恩:大家好,我是芬恩。
Li: And I'm Li.
莉:我是莉。
Finn: And we're whispering–we're talking very quietly-because we are about to watch an awards ceremony for the best dancer in the UK.
芬恩:我们要小声说,我们要悄悄说话的原因是我们要收看英国最佳舞者的颁奖典礼。
Li: Yes–I think it's going to begin now. Shh.
莉:对,我想马上就要开始了。嘘。
Awards Host: And the award for best dancer this year goes to… Timmy Tapper!
颁奖典礼主持人:今年的最佳舞者授予的获奖者是……蒂米·泰柏。
(Applause)
(掌声)
Timmy Tapper: Erm, thank you!
蒂米·泰柏:呃,谢谢!
Awards Host: Timmy, would you like to say a few words?
颁奖典礼主持人:蒂米,你想说点什么吗?
Timmy Tapper: Yes, erm, thank you… to… everybody! Thanks.
蒂米·泰柏:好,呃,谢谢……谢谢大家!谢谢。
Awards Host: Great. Well thank you Timmy. You've done a fantastic job this year!
颁奖典礼主持人:太棒了。谢谢你,蒂米,你今年的表现非常出色!
Finn: (whispers) Li, what happened? He was like a rabbit in the headlights.
芬恩:(耳语)莉,发生什么了?他好像被震住了。
Li: I don't know, he was very nervous. But what did you say, Finn, about rabbits?
莉:我也不知道,他太紧张了。不过芬恩,刚刚你说了什么,跟兔子有关的?
Finn: Oh, rabbits, yes. A rabbit in the headlights. It's a phrase used to describe someone who is so nervous that they can't move or speak.
芬恩:哦,兔子,是的。我说的A rabbit in the headlights,这个短语用来形容某个人因为极度紧张,不能移动或是说不出话来。
Li: I see. Someone who is too nervous to move or speak. But why does it involve headlights–the lights at the front of a car?
莉:我明白了。某个人太紧张了,以至于不能移动或是说不出话来。不过为什么要用车头灯这个词啊,这不是指车前面的灯吗?
Finn: Well if you think about if you are driving a car at night and you have your headlights on. Suddenly, a rabbit appears in the middle of the road. But it is too scared by the car driving towards for it to run away. It's a rabbit in the headlights.
芬恩:你想想如果你在晚上开车,你就必须要开开车头灯。这时突然,一只兔子跑到了路中间。兔子被开过来的车吓坏了,以至于它并没有逃走。就是说它被震住了。
Li: That's a rabbit in the headlights. Oh, Finn, I think Timmy Tapper wants to say something.
莉:就是它被震住了。哦,芬恩,我认为蒂米·泰柏想说些话的。
Finn: Oh yes.
芬恩:是啊。
Timmy Tapper: Oh, sorry. Can I just say one more thing?
蒂米·泰柏:哦,抱歉。我能再说句话吗?
Awards Host: Sure, go ahead, Timmy!
颁奖典礼主持人:当然了,请吧,蒂米!
(Timmy starts tap dancing)
(蒂米开始跳踢踏舞)
Awards Host: Well, isn't that amazing!
颁奖典礼主持人:哇,是不是很不可思议?
Li: Ha ha. I think Timmy was nervous speaking in front of everyone here just now, but now he's happy to express himself through tap dancing!
莉:哈哈。我认为刚才蒂米在大家面前说话太紧张了,不过现在他乐于用踢踏舞来表达自己的情感!
Finn: He looks very happy doesn't he? And while Timmy dances, I have some advice for everyone. If you want to speak confident English, and not be like a rabbit in the headlights, why not visit our website explore our free English learning materials?
芬恩:他看起来很快乐,不是吗?在蒂米跳舞的时候,我要给大家一些建议。如果你想说流利的英语,不想做害怕表达的人,那你为什么不访问我们的网站找些免费的英语学习资料呢?
Li: bbclearningenglish.com.
莉:网址是bbclearningenglish.com。
Finn: That's it. Bye.
芬恩:没错。再见。
Li: Bye.
莉:再见。
(Timmy tap dancing)
(蒂米跳踢踏舞)
译文属恒星原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移