我们讲的英语第194期:throw the baby out with the bathwater
重点讲解:
1. take care of
照顾;照看;看护;
eg. He had other people to take care of besides me.
除了我以外,他还需要照料其他人。
eg. He's counting on his mother to take care of the twins for him; she's had plenty of experience with them.
他靠母亲帮忙照顾他的双胞胎;她在这方面很有经验。
2. throw the baby out with the bathwater
把婴儿和洗澡水一起倒掉;将精华连同糟粕一起丢弃;不分好坏地全盘抛弃;
eg. What we mustn't do is throw the baby out with the bathwater.
我们一定不能良莠一起抛。
eg. But this is a knee-jerk response that throws the baby out with the bathwater.
可这就像是一种膝条反射,不管好坏一起倒掉。
3. in spite of
尽管;不顾;虽然;
eg. I know whatever you try, you'll win out in spite of early difficulties.
我知道你无论做什么,不管最初多么困难,最终都会成功。
eg. In spite of the extremity of her seclusion she was sane.
尽管完全与世隔绝,她依然心智健全。
4. care for
照料;照顾;护理;
eg. We must care for each other and help each other.
我们要互相关心,互相帮助。
eg. The old servant fulfilled his master's charge to care for the children.
老仆人履行了其主人要他照料孩子的指示。
5. leave sb. to hold the baby/be left holding the baby
替他人擦屁股;替别人干苦差事;
eg. You go off round the world, and leave me to hold the baby.
你满世界地跑,把苦差事都扔给我。
eg. I thought the monitor was going to organize the party but in the end I was left holding the baby.
我原以为班长会组织这次晚会,没想到最后竟是由我来承担这个苦差事。
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移