我们讲的英语第185期:Look like the back end of a bus 长相丑陋
Helen: Hello, Feifei.
海伦:你好,菲菲。
Feifei: Hi, Helen.
菲菲:你好,海伦。
Helen: Getting ready for The English We Speak?
海伦:准备好开始地道英语节目了吗?
Feifei: Well, kind of.
菲菲:嗯,差不多。
Helen: Look at you - are you going somewhere special later?
海伦:看看你,你一会儿要去特别的地方吗?
Feifei: Yes, I am. As it happens, I'm going for an audition for a new TV programme.
菲菲:是的。实际上,我一会儿要去参加一个新电视节目的试镜。
Helen: What new programme is it?
海伦:那个新节目是什么?
Feifei: It's called The Analysis - it's all about current affairs and, you know, serious news items.
菲菲:节目叫做《The Analysis》,是一档有关时事的节目,你知道,是严肃的新闻节目。
Helen: Really, I would have thought you would be auditioning for a celebrity chat show. You're looking awfully glamorous for a news programme.
海伦:真的吗,我以为你会去试镜名人访谈节目。主持新闻节目,你看上去太迷人了。
Feifei: Well, you can't look like the back end of a bus when you go on TV, no matter what kind of TV programme it is.
菲菲:你不能丑丑地上电视,无论是哪种节目。
Helen: What? Back end of a bus? What's 'bus' got to do with TV?
海伦:什么?公交车的后面?电视和公交车有什么关系?
Feifei: Oh, you know what I mean. What do you see on the back of a bus?
菲菲:哦,你知道我是什么意思。你在公交车的后面能看到什么?
Helen: Er, a window and... er, exhaust pipes?
海伦:额,窗户还有,嗯,排气管?
Feifei: Not much to see, is there?
菲菲:没有什么可看的,对吧?
Helen: No, who would want to look at the back end of a bus? It's so ugly.
海伦:没有,谁想去看公交车的后面啊?太丑了。
Feifei: Exactly. Nobody wants to look at the back end of a bus. If I looked like the back end of the bus, nobody would hire me in TV.
菲菲:没错。没有人想看公交车的后面。如果我看上去像公交车的后面,那电视台里是没有人想雇我的。
Helen: I get it. The phrase 'look like the back end of a bus' means looking ugly. You want to look your best - that's why you're wearing make-up and that beautiful dress.
海伦:我明白了。look like the back end of a bus这个短语的意思是看上去很丑。你希望展现你最好的一面,这就是你化妆又穿漂亮裙子的原因。
Feifei: That's right.
菲菲:没错。
A: (sobbing) I can't believe what a vengeful person Mike is. We broke up last Friday.
A:(抽泣)我真不敢相信迈克是复仇心这么重的人。我们上周五分手了。
B: It doesn't surprise me. I've never thought much of him!
B:这并不让我惊讶。我从来没觉得他有多好。
A: And he wrote to his friends that he dumped me because I look like the back end of a bus.
A:他还写信给他的朋友们说是他甩了我,因为我长得太丑了。
B: Oh, no! What a horrible thing to say! He should look in the mirror himself.
B:哦不!那是件多可怕的事情啊!他真应该照照镜子。
Helen: So this expression, 'look like the back end of a bus' is not a very pretty thing to say to anyone. It would really offend somebody.
海伦:所以这个表达对任何人来说都是不好的事情。这会冒犯别人的。
Feifei: No, you should definitely not use it to describe what someone looks like. Let's hope this new dress is worth the money I spent on it. See you later.
菲菲:对,你绝对不能用这个短语来形容别人的外貌。我希望这条新裙子能值得我买它花的价钱。一会儿见。
Helen: Good luck!
海伦:祝你好运!
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移