和谐英语

您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语口语 > 英语口语练习小对话

正文

英语口语练习小对话 第877期:据不开口,三缄其口

2015-08-13来源:和谐英语

1. speak up:大声讲(毫无顾虑地说出)

e.g. It's time to speak up for those who are suffering injustice.

现在该为蒙受不公正对待的人们大声疾呼了。

e.g. She's no shrinking violet, always ready to speak up for herself.

她可不胆小--任何场合都能为自己说话。

2. put in a word:插嘴

e.g. She asked him to put in a word of sympathy for her son.

她请他替她儿子美言几句。

e.g. His superior put in a word for him justly and he got the job.

他的上级为他说了句公正的话,他得到了那份工作。

e.g. She was not powerful enough in the family to put in a weighty word so her wife fumed unrestrictedly.

她在家里没有力量说一句有份量的话。所以她的丈夫就随心所欲地发脾气。

3. like a ton of bricks:来势凶猛

e.g. He came down on me like a ton of bricks when I arrived late.

我迟到时他对我大发脾气。

e.g. When the boss found me goofing off, he came down on me like a ton of bricks.

当老板发现我偷懒时,他气势汹汹地训斥了我一顿。

e.g. I had been wondering what to do for several days and the answer hit me like a ton of bricks.

我考虑了好几天怎么办,后来头脑中突然出现了答案。

2. stand up (for sb.):支持,拥护

e.g. You need strength of mind to stand up for yourself.

你需要用精神力量来支持自己。

e.g. Always stand up for your principles.

要一贯坚持你的原则。

3. fair and square:公平公道,光明正大,诚实地

e.g. I'm obliged to ask you a few questions; just answer up fair and square, and don't be afraid.

我不能不问你几桩事情;你得老老实实地回答我,别害怕。

e.g. I like doing business with that new firm because they are fair and square in all their dealings.

我喜欢同那家新公司做生意,因为他们在所有的买卖中都很光明正大。

e.g. He won the game fair and square.

他正大光明地赢了这场比赛。

e.g. I try to be fair and square.

我尽力做到公正。

4. take side with someone:支持,拥护,站在某人一边,向着某人

e.g. The children all take side with the mother when she leave her husband.

当她离开丈夫时,孩子们都向着她。

e.g. I can't expect you to take side with me against Boswell.

我不敢期望你站在我这一边来对抗Boswell。

5. be sure of:肯定,确定

e.g. One thing I am sure of was that she was scared.

有一点我能肯定,那就是她当时被吓到了。

e.g. I am not sure of what he has said at the meeting.

他在会上说了些什么我不太清楚。

4. come down on sb. like a ton of bricks:严厉惩罚

e.g. After enlisting in the army, I didn't know if I'd survive basic training. My sergeant was really strict. Anytime one of us in the platoon made the slightest mistake, he'd come down on us like a ton of bricks. He thought by disciplining us in such a severe way, we'd become better soldiers.

刚入伍的时候,我真不知道能不能挺得下来。我们排长要求特别严。我们哪怕是犯了一丁点儿的错误,他都会严加惩罚。他觉得只有严格要求我们,我们才能成为更加出色的军人。

e.g. I really disliked my fifth grade teacher. She used to come down on me like a ton of bricks. Once I was sent to the principal's office just for chewing gum in class. I couldn't wait to finish that school year!

我特别不喜欢我五年级时的老师。她经常罚我。有一次,就因为上课吃口香糖,她就让我到校长办公室去。我每天都盼着那个学年快点结束。

5. split in each one’s throat:争吵

e.g. My parents are always splitting each other’s throat so that I cannot concentrate on my study.

我的父母总是吵个不停,我没法安心学习

e.g. Two of them was about to split each other’s throat , but I headed it off.

两个人正要争吵,我给岔开了。