我们得要抢先完成
SCENE② C 艾文与玛莉在意式浓缩咖啡前出现
【我们得要抢先完成】
Mary: Is it true that one of our 1) competitors is planning to 2) launch their 3) tracking service next month?
玛莉: 听说我们有个竞争对手打算下个月推出监测流量的服务,这是真的还是假的?
Elvin: That would be "WebTracker". We're heard they're almost ready. That's why we have to finish first.
艾文: 你说的是“网路搜寻家”。听说他们几乎准备好了。所以我们得要抢先完成。
Mary: Or they'll take over the market before we even get started.
玛莉: 否则在我们还没来得及开始之前,他们就会占去整个市场。
Elvin: Right. And that would be a total 4) giga-bummer.
艾文: 没错。到时就一败涂地了。
Mary: I guess we'd better get back to work.
玛莉: 我猜我们最好赶快回去工作吧
语言详解
A: You have such a strange accent. Where are you from?
你的口音奇怪。你是哪里人?
B: Take a guess.
猜猜看。
【take over 接掌、占据】
take over 表达商务上或军事上的“接掌、占据”。
A: Once again, the military has taken over the African country.
又一次军方接管了那个非洲国家。
B: Do you think that'll interrupt your plan of taking over the market there?
你想这会干扰到你要掌控该地市场的计划吗?
A: Maybe and maybe not. I just have to wait and see.
或许会,或许不会。我只有等着瞧了。
1) competitor (n.) 竞争者
2) launch (v.) 事业登场,投入市场
3) tracking service 监控服务,此指“监控网站流量的服务”。
4) giga-bummer bummer是指“倒霉、不幸的遭遇”, giga这个“字首” 是指“十亿”,意即“非常巨大,非常多”。