和谐英语

您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语听力 > CNN news

正文

VR技术在医学研究中发挥独特作用

2022-07-12来源:和谐英语

Up next, a new way to conduct medical research using virtual reality technology.

接下来,要报道的是一种使用虚拟现实技术进行医学研究的新方法。

That in itself is a new concept.

这本身就是一个新概念。

The practice of research in laboratories directly interacting with whatever matter you're studying goes back millennia.

在实验室里直接与你所研究的任何物质相互作用的研究实践可以追溯到几千年前。

But with new tools come new ideas and a company named Nanome which is featured in our next report isn't the only one that offers VR software for scientific research.

但新工具的出现孕育了新的想法,Nanome公司并不是唯一一家为科学研究提供VR软件的公司,这一公司将在我们的下一个报道中出现。

There are some potential drawbacks to this.

这样做有一些潜在的缺点。

For one thing, virtual reality has long been criticized for causing motion sickness in some users.

首先,虚拟现实技术长期以来一直因导致一些用户晕设备而受到批评。

Some of the technology is still experimental.

其中一些技术仍处于实验阶段。

It's not as refined as tried and true traditional research.

它不像可靠的传统研究那样精细。

It's not known yet if the inside it offers is worth the investment.

目前还不清楚它提供的内部环境是否值得投资。

You've got to buy the headsets, the computers, the software and Nanome itself might not be as user friendly in some ways as its competitors.

你必须购买耳机、电脑、软件,而Nanome本身在某些方面可能不像它的竞争对手那样对用户友好。

But it is one way in which scientists and medical companies can get an immersive view of the molecules they're studying.

但这是一种让科学家和医疗公司能够沉浸式地看到他们正在研究的分子的方式。

Oh, okay. Well, let's give me some hair.

哦, 好。嗯,给我一些头发。

This might look like a game, but I'm exploring a virtual reality platform that helps scientists design real medicines by putting them inside the molecules they study.

这看起来可能像个游戏,但我正在探索虚拟现实平台,这个平台可以帮助科学家通过置身于他们研究的分子中来设计真正的药物。

I mean, this is crazy. I'm like, in the molecule looking up at it.

我是说,这太疯狂了。我是说,在分子中仰视观察它。

Joining me is Steve McCloskey.

和我一起的是史蒂夫·麦克洛斯基。

The 30-year-old co-founded San Diego-based startup Nanome in 2016 to develop the technology.

这位30岁的年轻人于2016年联合创立了总部位于圣地亚哥的初创公司Nanome,以开发这项技术。

But you started off as an academic nano engineer.

但你一开始是一名纳米学术工程师。

So, what inspired you to get into the technology space and actually create this platform?

那么,是什么激发了你进入技术领域并真正创建这个平台的?

Yeah, I've always been into gaming, grew up big gamer.

是,我一直沉迷于游戏,从小就是个游戏迷。

I remembered how different it was to go into VR and be in the environment compared to just playing a 2D game.

我记得进入VR并置身于VR环境中与只玩2D游戏是多么不同。

When I was going through nano engineering, I was like, why don't we have a better immersive graphics way to do this?

当我在研究纳米工程时,我想,为什么我们不能有一种更好的沉浸式图像来实现这件事呢?

Turns out, a lot of scientists were asking the same.

事实证明,许多科学家也提出了同样的问题。

Since the platform launched in 2018, hundreds of organizations have adopted Nanome's VR tools for their research, McCloskey says, at a cost of $5,000 plus per year.

麦克洛斯基表示,自2018年推出该平台以来,已有数百家组织采用了Nanome的VR工具进行研究,每年的成本超过5000美元。

Being able to go into VR, you actually immediately gain new insights.

能够进入VR,你实际上立即获得了新的见解。

So, this could send you on a completely new path of molecular development that would have otherwise never been discovered.

因此,这可能会让你走上一条全新的曾经永远不会被发现的分子发展道路。

That's exactly what's needed to fight one growing health crisis, antibiotic resistance.

这正是对抗日益严重的健康危机--抗生素耐药性--所需要的。

It's what happens when bacteria adapt and no longer respond to today's antibiotics, making common infections difficult to treat and even fatal.

这是当细菌适应了抗生素并不再对今天的抗生素产生反应,使常见的感染难以治疗,甚至导致丧命时所要发生的。