和谐英语

地道美语听力练习:不速之客

2012-12-17来源:和谐英语

Lorraine: Hi, this is a surprise. To what do I owe this pleasure?
洛林:嗨,好意外啊。什么风把你给吹来了?

Terrance: Can’t I just drop in on my little sister unannounced to see how she is? I was just in this neck of the woods and thought I would pay you a visit.
特伦斯:我顺便看看我的小妹妹过得怎么样,不行吗?我就住在这附近,我应该来看看你。

Lorraine: Sure you were. Of course, I’m glad to see you, but this is just a little out of the blue.
洛林:你当然可以来。当然了,我也很高兴见到你,只是有点意外罢了。

Terrance: What do you mean?
特伦斯:你什么意思?

Lorraine: I haven’t seen you in over five months, and you just happened to be in the neighborhood?
洛林:我五个多月没见过你了,你真地就住在我附近吗?

Terrance: Well, I wasn’t exactly in the neighborhood, but I wanted to see my favorite sister.
特伦斯:是这样,我并不是就住在这儿,但我想看看我最亲爱的妹妹。

Lorraine: Your only sister. Okay, out with it. What are you doing here?
洛林:还是你唯一的妹妹。好吧,说吧。你来这里做什么?

Terrance: Uh, well, I was thinking of taking a year off from school to pursue my art. I really feel I need to devote some time to my painting to see if I can make it as an artist.
特伦斯:嗯,是这样,我想休学一年,然后专心追求我的艺术。我觉得我真地需要花一些时间在我的绘画上了,看看我到底是否可以成为一个艺术家。

Lorraine: Mom and Dad are not going to like that.
洛林:爸爸和妈妈不会同意的。

Terrance: I know and that’s where you come in.
特伦斯:我知道,所以来这儿找你出马。

Lorraine: You want me to run interference for you with Mom and Dad.
洛林:你想让我替你在爸爸妈妈面前说话。

Terrance: Yeah, they would take it a lot better coming from you, don’t you think?
特伦斯:是的,你说的话他们比较爱听,不是吗?

Lorraine: No, I don’t.
洛林:不,我不这么认为。

Terrance: You’ve always been the responsible one...I’m just saying...
特伦斯:你一直是个负责的人啊……我的意思是……

Lorraine: And I’m just saying that I’m not going to do your dirty work for you!
洛林:我的意思是,我不会替你做这个苦差事!