为什么拥枪者不承认他们支持更严格的枪管?
Now, polls show that most Americans, including many gun owners, support some restrictions on firearms, like stricter background checks, red flag laws.
现在,民意调查显示,大多数美国人,包括许多枪支拥有者,支持对枪支进行一些限制,比如更严格的背景调查,实施红旗法案。
But even after mass shootings like the one we saw in Texas, where so many children were killed, some gun owners hesitate to speak out about their views.
但即使在发生了像我们在德克萨斯州看到的那样的大规模枪击事件,许多儿童被杀害后,一些枪支拥有者仍不愿公开表达他们的观点。
And I guess we should just emphasize here, we're talking here about a variety of opinions among gun owners.
我想我们应该在这里强调一下,我们在这里讨论的是枪支拥有者的各种观点。
What did you hear from the individuals you spoke with?
你从与你交谈的人那里听到了什么?
Absolutely. Well, let me talk about two gun owners in particular.
当然。让我专门谈谈两个拥有枪支的人。
They're neighbors, actually - Richard Small and Gerardo Marquez.
实际上,他们是邻居--理查德·斯莫尔和杰拉多·马奎兹。
Both live on small ranches south of San Antonio, not far from Uvalde.
他们都住在圣安东尼奥南部的小牧场上,离乌瓦尔德不远。
They have a lot in common.
他们有很多共同点。
They're both in their 60s, both retired schoolteachers and administrators.
他们都60多岁了,是退休的教师和管理人员。
And both grew up with guns. Here's Small, then Marquez.
他们都是伴随着枪支长大的。 斯莫尔是这样,马奎兹也是这样。
I have a rifle that I use with my grandson for plinking.
我有把步枪,是我和孙子一起用来乒乒乓乓。
They call it plinking - you know, shooting at a steel target.
他们叫它乒乒乓乓,你知道,向一个钢铁靶子射击。
We dove hunt and turkey hunt. So that's what it is for me.
我们猎鸽、猎火鸡。 这就是枪支对我的意义。
We're both in a country where people regularly shoot.
我们都在一个经常有人开枪的国家。
You know, they hunt, and they shoot for fun.
他们打猎,打猎是为了找乐趣。
They go to gun shows, read hunting magazines.
他们去看枪支展览,阅读狩猎杂志。
But they're both very upset about the spate of mass shootings.
但他们都对大规模枪击事件感到不安。
They're troubled by the easy access to lethal assault-style rifles. And now they say they want change.
他们对可以轻松获得致命突击步枪感到困扰。现在他们表示他们想要改变。
What change do they want?
他们想要什么改变?
Well, they'd like to see tougher gun control laws.
嗯,他们希望看到更严格的枪支管制法律。
Richard Small says after the 19 children were gunned down, he was so shaken, he handed over the assault-style rifle he owned to local police.
理查德·斯莫尔表示,19名儿童被枪杀后,他非常震惊,他把自己拥有的突击步枪交给了当地警方。
This was reported by The Washington Post.
这是《华盛顿邮报》报道的内容。
He told me he just wanted that gun gone.
他告诉我他只想让枪支消失。
I had an epiphany of - I'm done. I don't need it. It's a bad, deadly combination in the wrong hands.
我突然顿悟,我受够了。 我不需要枪。 在错误的人手中,这就是一个糟糕的、致命的组合。
Gerardo Marquez has strong feelings, too.
杰拉多·马奎兹也有强烈的感觉。
It's so obvious that we need to do something.
很明显,我们需要做点什么。
The last two shootings - the one in Buffalo, the one here in Uvalde - 18-year-olds.
最近两起枪击案,一起在布法罗,另一起在乌瓦尔德,都是18岁的年轻人。
I mean, golly - when are we going to wake up?
我是说,天啊,我们什么时候才能醒来?
Mr. Marquez is a Democrat. Mr. Small is a Republican.
马奎兹是民主党人。斯莫尔是共和党人。
They both still own multiple guns, but both support stricter background checks, more licensing requirements and red flag laws - basically, taking guns away from people who are deemed dangerous by courts.
他们两人仍然拥有多支枪支,但都支持更严格的背景调查、更多的枪支许可要求以及实施红旗法案- 大致说来,就是从被法院认定为危险的人手中夺取枪支。
And I guess we should just note, if you talk to a lot of gun owners, you run into a lot of people who take gun safety seriously, who think seriously about the safety, safe use of their own weapons.
我想我们应该注意,如果你和很多枪支拥有者交谈,你会发现很多人都很重视枪支安全,他们很认真地对待安全问题,安全使用自己的武器。
So it's not surprising that you'd find a couple people who would have these views about gun regulation.
所以你会发现一些人对枪支管理有这些观点并不奇怪。
But is it clear how many gun owners share their views?
但有多少拥枪者认同他们的观点,这是清清楚楚的吗?
Well, as you point out, there's a range of views, but there is some evidence that the views of these two men might be the silent majority.
正如你所指出的,有很多观点,但有证据表明这两个人的观点可能是沉默的大多数。
I spoke to Dr. Michael Siegel. He's a public health researcher at Tufts University.
我和迈克尔·西格尔博士谈过了。他是塔夫斯大学的公共卫生研究员。
He's published research based on surveys of thousands of gun owners.
他发表了一项基于对数千名枪支拥有者的调查的研究。
Our study found that the overwhelming majority of gun owners are just like him, that they support these types of basic laws that aim simply to keep guns out of the hands of people who are high risk for violence, but they're afraid to speak out publicly.
我们的研究发现,绝大多数拥枪者和他一样,他们支持这些旨在防止枪支落入暴力高危人群手中的基本法律,但他们不敢公开表态。
And part of the reason is they kind of feel stuck in the middle.
部分原因是他们感觉被夹在中间。
On one side, they're completely out of step with the NRA, the gun lobby that resists new laws;
一方面,他们与反对新法律的枪支游说团体全国步枪协会完全不合拍;
on the other side, some are alienated by advocates who say, you know, get rid of all guns and view all gun owners as part of the problem.
另一方面,一些人被这些表示要扔掉所有枪支,并将所有枪支拥有者视为问题的一部分的倡导者疏远。
So Dr. Siegel says the voices of these gun owners who favor more gun control need to be respected and elevated in order to move forward.
所以西格尔博士表示,这些支持加强枪支管制的拥枪者的声音需要得到尊重,并且需要提高这样的声音,这样才能向前发展。
- 上一篇
- 下一篇