山火真的需要扑灭吗?(下)
How did it all end?
这一切又是如何结束的?
We weren't able to contain the fires with our current suppression resources in the state.
我们无法用加州现有的灭火资源控制火势。
What saved us is that we had the fog move in six days into the fire.
雾气在6天内进入了火灾区拯救了我们。
Our normal weather pattern was back.
正常天气模式又回来了。
So that marine influence that brings cool moist air from the ocean is now keeping the fire relatively mild.
海洋带来的凉爽潮湿的空气让现在的火势保持相对温和。
I thought that Big Basin would never burn.
我以为那个大盆地永远也烧不起来。
That's Christian Schwarz.
这是克里斯蒂安·施瓦茨。
After the Big Basin wildfire, he spent a lot of time crawling around with his face inches from the scorched earth.
经历大盆地野火后,他花了很长时间在这片土地上四处“爬行”,他的脸离焦土只有几英寸近。
That's because he's a mycologist. On the forest floor, the mushrooms he studies also had a story to tell.
那是因为他是一位真菌学家。在森林区的地表,他研究的菌菇们也有故事要讲。
My first visits back to Big Basin after the fire a very small number of species of mushroom were present, but the ones that were present were present in amazing volumes, amazing quantity of, of biomass.
火灾发生后,我第一次回到大盆地的时候,发现的蘑菇种类非常少,但这些蘑菇的数量惊人,生物量惊人。
And that's because they are fire responders or fire adapted species in some way, species that not only were able to tolerate the burning, but were in fact stimulated by it.
那是因为它们对火灾作出了迅速的反应,或者说它们是某种程度上的火灾适应物种,这些物种不仅能够忍受燃烧,实际上还因此生长得更好。
It’s all part of the recovery process, but what eventually emerges at Big Basin in the centuries ahead is unknowable–at this point.
这都是环境恢复过程的一部分,但大盆地在未来几个世纪里最终会出现什么,目前还不得而知。
Literally 95% of the park burning, left me realizing that there is no climate outcome that is impossible to imagine.
公园95%的地方都在燃烧,这让我意识到,我们能想象到的多糟糕的气候后果都可能发生.
The thing that I thought least likely and most painful happened. Climate change is here.
我曾以为最不可能也最痛心的事情发生了。气候变化就发生在这里。
It's a past tense verb. Climate changed.
这里应该是一个过去式:气候已经改变了。
The reporting for this podcast came from work that Sarah and I did as part of the Science Communication Lab.
本期播客报道出自莎拉与我在《科学传播实验室》所做的工作。
We are a noNPRofit organization committed to science storytelling and filmmaking.
我们是一个致力于科学叙事与影片摄制的非营利组织。
The interviews used where gathered as part of short documentary film called "Fire Among Giants" which you can see at scientificamerican.com.
这些采访使用了短篇纪录片《巨人之火》的一部分,你可以在scientificamerican.com网站上对其进行浏览。
We want to thank Don, Portia, and Christian for giving their time to this project. And we want to thank all of you for listening.
我们想要感谢唐恩、波西亚和克里斯蒂安为这个项目付出的时间。我们也想感谢你们所有人的收听。
For Scientific American's 60-Second Science, I'm Sarah Goodwin.
谢谢大家收听科学美国人——60秒科学,我是莎拉·古德温。
And I'm Shannon Behrman.
我是香农·贝尔曼。
- 上一篇
- 下一篇