正文
流行美语 第141课 - tomboy / chicken
Larry的妹妹要来找他,所以李华到Larry的公寓去帮他打扫清洁。今天李华会学到两个常用语tomboy和chicken.
LH: Larry, 这是我第一次要见到你妹妹。我特别兴奋呢!你妹妹到底是个什么样的人啊?
LL: Well, I don't know if you and my sister will have much in common. My sister is kind of a tomboy.
LH: 你妹妹是什么?Tomboy?那是什么意思?Boy是男孩耶,你妹妹怎么成了个boy?
LL: No, a tomboy is a girl who acts more like a boy. My sister is more interested in sports and cars than fashion or movie stars.
LH: 噢,tomboy就是一个行为举止像男孩的女生。你妹妹喜欢运动和汽车,这有什么不对?谁规定女孩子就一定要喜欢衣服和化妆品的?我也喜欢运动和汽车啊!
LL: Oh, no. I don't want to get in a feminist debate. I'm just saying that many people might think that my sister is not very feminine.
LH: 啊?很多人都觉得你妹妹不够女人味啊?那我和你妹妹一定可以合得来的,因为我小时候也是个tomboy。我喜欢爬树,打球,有一次还跟一个男孩打架呢!
LL: You? A tomboy? You're kidding, right? You always wear dresses and you act very feminine. I don't believe it.
LH: 是真的!我小时候我妈妈总是要逼我穿裙子。还有啊!我都是和街坊邻居的男孩子玩,因为其他的女孩都觉得我像个男孩!
LL: I guess you really were a tomboy. You must have changed a lot.
LH: 其实我也没有改变很多啊!你看,我现在还是很喜欢打球运动,而且我最好的朋友还是个男的呢!
LL: Really? Who's your best friend?
LH: Larry! 你可别装傻哟!你知道你就是我最好的朋友!
LL: That's really sweet, Li Hua. I'm honored to be your best friend, even if you are a tomboy! (laughing)
LH: 好了啦!你就别再这样逗我了!
******
LL: Hey, Li Hua, my sister and I are going rock climbing tomorrow. Do you want to come with us?
LH: 什么?爬岩石? 那不是很危险吗?
LL: Come on. Don't be a chicken. It's perfectly safe and it'll be a lot of fun.
LH: A chicken? Chicken是鸡的意思。我不想去爬岩石,这和鸡有什么关系?
LL: Oh, chicken is slang for wimp or coward. You don't have to come with us if you're too much of a chicken.
LH: 原来你是在笑我胆小啊?Chicken就是指胆小,懦弱的人。哼!我才不是胆小鬼呢。我一点儿也不害怕爬岩石,我只不过是比较小心而已嘛!
LL: Well, if you're not a chicken, then you're welcome to come with us. We're leaving at 8:30 tomorrow morning.
LH: 好,为了证明我不是胆小鬼, 不是一个chicken,明天早上8点半我一定到!那,你们是不是工具都准备齐全了?
LL: Yes, my sister brought all of our equipment from home, so we'll all be perfectly safe. You don't have to worry at all.
LH: 你别再拐弯抹角地说我胆小了!你啊才是个胆小鬼呢!你不是最怕坐云霄飞车吗?
LL: That's different! People can get killed on those things if something goes wrong!
LH: 是啊!云霄飞车如果出状况,是会摔死人的。那难道攀岩石就不会出意外啊?
LL: All right, you made your point. I won't call you a chicken again. I'll see you tomorrow morning at 8:30, okay?
LH: 没问题。明天见!
今天李华学到两个常用语,第一个是tomboy,形容一个性格象男孩的女孩。另一个常用语是chicken,是指一个胆小懦弱的人。
相关文章
- 流行美语 第147课 - To crack somebody up / Fess up
- 流行美语 第145课 - back to square one / killer
- 流行美语 第146课 - smack-dab / ring a bell
- 流行美语 第143课 - long shot / the buzz
- 流行美语 第144课 - bite the dust / funky
- 流行美语 第142课 - gooey / retro
- 流行美语 第139课 - Mental / Pro
- 流行美语 第140课 - boonies / country bumpkin
- 流行美语 第137课 - workaholic / nutty
- 流行美语 第138课 - juice / nuke