正文
流行美语 第143课 - long shot / the buzz
Larry和李华正在讨论暑假期间做什么。李华建议邀请一些朋友一块儿去露营。今天李华会学到两个常用语:long shot和the buzz.
LH:Larry,我们要不要叫Dave和La.mp3跟我们一起去露营呀?
LL: Well, it's a long shot, Dave and La.mp3 probably already have something planned.
LH: 那倒也是,他们可能已经计划好了暑期活动。不过,这跟long shot有什么关系哪? Shot是射击。我邀他们去露营,不是去打猎......
LL:No, there's nothing to do with shooting!
LH:等等,我知道了。你的意思是,他们已经有计划了,所以不太可能和我们去露营,long shot就是不太可能,是不是?
LL: That's exactly what it means. A "long shot" is something that is not likely to happen or there is only a small possibility of success.
LH: 你看,我猜对了吧! Long shot是指不太可能的事。要不我们可以加入他们的活动啊?
LL: That's a long shot, too, because it's probably too late to make the necessary airplane or hotel reservations.
LH: 是吗?现在已经不太可能订到机票和旅馆啦?那...还有什么是可能的,而不是long shot呢?
LL: We could spend the vacation with my family at my parent's lake house. I'm pretty sure that my parents would be happy to join us there.
LH: 哇!到你爸妈的湖边别墅去度假,还能见到你爸爸妈妈。那真是太好了。Larry,你怎么没早点想到这个好计划嘛?
LL: Well, I thought it was a long shot that you'd be willing to spend your vacation with my family. My parents sometimes could be boring.
LH: 怎么会呢?我很喜欢你爸爸妈妈。他们很和善,也很风趣。你妹妹也是个很有意思的人。我想我们会玩得很开心的。
LL: It's a long shot that my sister will come home to spend the vacation. She said she's going to Europe this summer.
LH: 噢,她要去欧洲呀?我也很想去,但是现在没钱。Larry,暑假去你们家,我们会不会到湖里游泳啊?我要不要带游泳衣呀?
LL: You should definitely bring a bathing suit.
LH: 那么,要不要带件毛衣呀?
LL:You could, but it's a long shot that you'll need it.
******
LH: Larry,你准备好了吗?我们该出发了!
LL: Yep. I'm all packed. I decided to bring some new movies with us to watch, too, including a new horror movie. The buzz is that it's really scary.
LH: 你还带了电影哪?太好了,不过我可不爱看恐怖电影。对了,Larry,你刚才说,the buzz is...,什么是the buzz?
LL: Buzz is slang for what people are saying about a particular topic, person, or thing, not necessarily bad.
LH: 噢,buzz就是指大家谈论的话题,所以你的意思是大家都在说这部电影很可怕,是不是?
LL: Right. I brought that new Tom Cruise movie, too, because I know you've been wanting to see it.
LH: 真的,你还带来了Tom Cruise最新的电影。Larry,谢谢你!最近大家都在谈论,那就是: The buzz is Tom Cruise又有新女朋友了。
LL: I really don't pay any attention to the buzz about celebrities' personal lives. I'm just not interested in it.
LH: 我对关于名人的传说通常也不太感兴趣。但是,Tom Cruise是我喜欢的电影明星,所以有关他的事,我是比较注意的。
LL: Oh well, all the buzz in the media about their personal lives probably didn't help their marriage that much.
LH: 没错,那些媒体的报道对他们的婚姻不但没有什么好处,甚至还可能间接地破坏了他们的婚姻呢!
LL: That's right!
今天李华学到两个常用语。第一个是long shot,是形容某件事不太可能发生,机会不大。另一个常用语是the buzz,是指大家对某人或某事的谈论。
相关文章
- 流行美语 第147课 - To crack somebody up / Fess up
- 流行美语 第145课 - back to square one / killer
- 流行美语 第146课 - smack-dab / ring a bell
- 流行美语 第144课 - bite the dust / funky
- 流行美语 第141课 - tomboy / chicken
- 流行美语 第142课 - gooey / retro
- 流行美语 第139课 - Mental / Pro
- 流行美语 第140课 - boonies / country bumpkin
- 流行美语 第137课 - workaholic / nutty
- 流行美语 第138课 - juice / nuke