和谐英语

您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语听力 > 新概念英语 > 新概念英语第三册(美音版)

正文

新概念英语美音版第三册:Lesson 44 Speed and comfort

2012-11-07来源:和谐英语

Lesson 44 Speed and comfort
又快捷又舒适

Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
听录音,然后回答以下问题。
Which type of transport does the writer prefer, do you think?
People travelling long distances frequently have to decide whether they would prefer to go by land, sea, or air.
出远门的人常常需要决定是走旱路、水路,还是坐飞机。
Hardly anyone can positively enjoy sitting in a train for more than a few hours.
很少有人能够真正喜欢坐几个小时以上的火车。
Train compartments soon get cramped and stuffy.
车厢很快就变得拥挤、闷热,
It is almost impossible to take your mind off the journey.
想摆脱开旅途的困扰是很难的。
Reading is only a partial solution, for the monotonous rhythm of the wheels clicking on the rails soon lulls you to sleep.
看书只能解决部分问题。车轮与铁轨间单调的嘎喳声很快就会送你进入梦乡。
During the day, sleep comes in snatches.
白天是忽睡忽醒,
At night, when you really wish to go to sleep, you rarely manage to do so.
到了夜晚,你真想睡了,却很难入睡。
If you are lucky enough to get a sleeper, you spend half the night staring at the small blue light in the ceiling,
即使你走运弄到一个卧铺,夜间有一半时间你会盯着车顶那盏小蓝灯而睡不着觉;
or fumbling to find your ticket for inspection.
要不然就为查票摸索你的车票。
Inevitably you arrive at your destination almost exhausted.
一旦抵达目的地,你总是疲惫不堪。
Long car journeys are even less pleasant, for it is quite impossible even to read.
乘汽车作长途旅行则更加不舒服,因为连看书都几乎不可能。
On motorways you can, at least, travel fairly safely at high speeds,
在公路上还好,你至少能以相当快的速度安全地向前行。
but more often than not, the greater part of the journey is spent on roads with few service stations and too much traffic.
但旅行的大部分时间都花在路上,而且只有很少的服务设施,交通也很拥挤。
By comparison, ferry trips or cruises offer a great variety of civilized comforts.
相比之下,坐船旅行或环游可以得到文明世界的各种享受。
You can stretch your legs on the spacious decks, play games, meet interesting people and enjoy good food -- always assuming,of course, that the sea is calm.
你可以在甲板上伸展四肢、做游戏,还能见到各种有趣的人,能享用各种美味佳肴-当然,这一切只有在大海风平浪静的情况下才有可能。
If it is not, and you are likely to get seasick, no form of transport could be worse.
如果大海肆虐起来,你就可能晕船,那种难受劲儿是任何一种别的旅行的方式都不会带来的。
Even if you travel in ideal weather, sea journeys take a long time.
即使风平浪静,坐船旅行也要占用很长时间。
Relatively few people are prepared to sacrifice holiday time for the pleasure of travlling by sea.
没有多少人会为享受坐船旅行的乐趣而牺牲假期的时间。
Aeroplanes have the reputation of being dangerous and even hardened travellers are intimidated by them.
飞机以危险而著称,连老资格的旅行者也怕飞机。
They also have the disadvantage of being an expensive form of transport.
飞机的另一个缺点是昂贵。
But nothing can match them for speed and comfort.
但就速度与舒适而言,飞机是无与伦比的。
Travelling at a height of 30,000 feet, far above the clouds, and at over 500 miles an hour is an exhilarating experience.
腾云驾雾,在30,000 英尺高空以500英里的时速旅行,这种经历令人心旷神怡。
You do not have to devise ways of taking your mind off the journey, for an aeroplane gets you to your destination rapidly.
你不必想办法去摆脱旅途的困扰,因为飞机会迅速地把你送到目的地。
For a few hours, you settle back in a deep armchair to enjoy the flight.
几小时之内,你躺在扶手椅上,享受着旅途的欢乐。
The real escapist can watch a film and sip champagne on some services.
真正会享受的人还可以在某些航班上看一场电影和喝香槟。
But even when such refinements are not available, there is plenty to keep you occupied.
即使没有这些消遣条件,也总是有事可做。
An aeroplane offers you an unusual and breathtaking view of the world.
飞机上,你可以观察世界上非同寻常的奇妙的美景。
You soar effortlessly over high mountains and deep valleys.
你毫不费劲地飞越高山幽谷,
You really see the shape of the land.
你确能饱览大地的风貌。
If the landscape is hidden from view,
如果这种景色被遮住了,
you can enjoy the extraordinary sight of unbroken cloud plains that stretch out for miles before you, while the sun shines brilliantly in a clear sky.
你便可以观赏一下展现在你面前的、一望数英里的、连绵不断的云海,同时阳光灿烂,天空清澈明朗。
The journey is so smooth that there is nothing to prevent you from reading or sleeping.
旅途平稳,丝毫不妨碍你阅读或睡眠。
However you decide to spend your time, one thing is certain: you will arrive at your destination fresh and uncrumpled.
不管你打算如何消磨时间,有件事是可以肯定的,即当你抵达目的地时,你感到精神焕发,毫无倦意,
You will not have to spend the next few days recovering from a long and arduous journey.
用不着因为漫长旅途的辛苦而花几天时间休息来恢复精神。