英语中值得注意的五类省略结构
四、由从属连词后接过去分词构成的省略结构
这类省略比较重要的是由从属连词although, as, as if, as though, if, once, unless, until, when, while 等后接过去分词构成,注意此时过去分词的逻辑主语通常应与句子主语一致。如:
Although never married, they lived together as husband and wife for fifty years. 虽然从未结婚,但他们像夫妻一样在一起生活了50多年。
I am sending you information on holidays as promised. 正如所许诺的那样,我现在给你寄去关于度假的资料。
He was speeding down the motorway as if pursued by a demon. 他在公路上高速行驶,就像有魔鬼在追赶他似的。
If accepted for this post, you will be informed within a week. 如果你被接受担任这个职务,将在一礼拜内给你通知。
Once exposed to light, the film will be damaged and get useless. 一旦曝光,胶卷就要被损坏而不能用了。
The school rules state that no child shall be allowed out of the school during the day, unless accompanied by an adult. 校规规定,除非有成年人的陪同,孩子在白天不允许出学校。
Grill for 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally until cooked. 烧烤15分钟至20分钟,不时翻转直到烧熟为止。
When asked for your views about your current job, on no account must you be negative about it. 被问及你对自己目前工作的看法时,无论如何不要流露出消极情绪。
五、省略后只由wh-词来代替整个从句
有些由when, where, who, which, how等引导的从句,如果上文的语境清楚,可以从句省略,而只保留wh-词。如:
I’d like to help in some way, but I’m not sure how. 我想帮点忙,但不知道该怎么做。
Be very clear about what jobs should be completed, and by when. 对哪些工作应该要完成和应该什么时候完成必须非常明确。
I’ll call you ahead of time to fix up exactly when and where. 我会提前打电话给你,确定时间和地点。
I’ve left my keys somewhere and I don’t know where. 我把钥匙放在某个地方了,但不知道是哪个地方。
Miranda was sure it was one of them, but was not sure which. 米兰达确定是其中的一个,但不敢肯定是哪一个。
It’s either Spanish or Portuguese that she speaks, but I’ve forgotten which. 她说的要么是西班牙语,要么是葡萄牙语,但我忘记是哪一种了。
“Who told you?” “Oh, somebody or other, I’ve forgotten who.” “谁告诉你的?”“啊,有个人,我忘了是谁了。”
He’s angry with me and I don’t know why. 他生我的气了,但我不知道是为什么。
She gets periodic headaches, but she doesn’t know why. 她时不时地感到头疼,但不知道为什么。