魔鬼口语1000句(四十):别累着自己
1. Examples abound.
例子举不胜举。
2. Free time is at a premium for him.
他很少有空。
►at a premium 在票面价值以上;极为珍贵,短缺;很受尊重
e.g. Skilled workers are at a premium in this town. 熟练的技工在这个城市里很受青睐。
3. I stopped short of telling him, but only just.
我差点告诉他。
►stop short of 突然停止,决定不做某事;未到达;缺乏
►only just 恰好,刚刚,刚才;好不容易才
>>The Wanted - Chasing the sun:冰河世纪4主题曲<<
We've only just begun... 我们才刚开始...
4. Draw/pull up a chair and sit before me.
拉把椅子过来。
►draw up 草拟,起草;停住;把(椅子等)拉近,使靠近;排好队伍;使(自己)站直
►pull up 把…向上拉;使停下来;提高,改进;把…拉到近处
5. It takes true grit to do it.
做这件事需要真正的勇气。
►true grit 电影《大地惊雷(True Grit)》又译《真实的勇气》
6. It’s my idea of sheer bliss.
我认为这才是真正的幸福。
7. Stop badgering me.
别磨我了。
►badger sb 纠缠某人,烦扰某人
e.g. I'll lay you out if you continue to badger me. 如果你继续纠缠我,我会把你打倒在地的。
8. Sorry for that. I didn’t mean to snub.
我绝非有意怠慢。
9. Don’t overtax yourself.
别累着自己。
10. To be candid, it’s your fault.
坦率地说,是你的错。
►to be candid 坦率地说
to make no bones 毫不掩饰,直率地表示自己的意见
to tell the truth/to be honest/frankly speaking 都可以用来表示自己的真实想法