和谐英语

哈佛大学校园英语情景对话11:哈佛法学院(mp3+中英)

2016-11-15来源:和谐英语

Han Meimei is watching the movie “Liar” on TV when there is a knock at the door.
H: Hey, John, why are you here?

呀,约翰,你怎么来了?

J: I just went to my uncle’s and stop by. You’re watching TV?

我刚去我叔叔家,顺便就过来看下你。你在看电视吗?

H: Yeah, a movie called Liar. I like Jim Carrey. He’s so funny.

是啊,看电影《大话王》。我喜欢金?凯瑞,他很搞笑。

J: A little nonsensica.

有点无厘头吧。

H: I'm surprised that lawyers have such a bad reputation in America.

我很吃惊,律师在美国的名声很差哦!

J: It’s true that people don’t like lawyers, but they can’t live without lawyers.

这是置的,大家都不喜欢律师,但是又离不开他们。

H: Just like the rich people in the movie, they can buy freedom with money.

就像电影里说的,有钱人鱿能用钱买自由。

J: Do yowant to be a lawyer any more after watching the movie on TV?

看了这电影之后你还想当一名律师吗?

H: Well, this career is indeed profitable. As you said, people need lawyers all the time. But now, I have another goal.

嗯,这样的职业确实很赚钱啦。正如你说的,大家一直都需要律师的。但现在我有另一个 目标。

J: What’s it?

什么目标?

H: You must promise not to laugh at me first. Cross your heart.

你要保证你不笑话我哦。你发誓!

J: Ok, I cross it.

好,我发誓。

H: If I stay in America, Fm determined to fight for the rights of Chinese who don’t know American laws. I don’t want to be a liar and a slave to money, who grind those poor people beneath his or her heel.

H:如果我留在美国,我决心要为不懂美国法律的中国人争取权益。我不要成为一个 说谎的人,也不要成为金钱的奴隶,把穷人踩在自己的脚底下。

J: Salute!

J:向你致敬!

H: John, don't forget what you promised.

约翰,不要忘了你的保证哦!

J: I did it from the heart.

我是发自内心的!

H: But first I have to go to a law school. Is it too early to say this?

但苜先我要能考上法学院。现在说这个是否有点太早啦?

J: No, only a person with a dream can go far.

不会,一个人要有梦想才能走得远。

H: Right. But easier said than done. The admittance rate of Harvard Law School is only about 7%.

对!但说的比做的轻松。哈佛法学院录取率只有7%。

J: I have confidence in you. You can make it. Anyway, you must give it a shot before
you know you can do it or not. It never will rain roses.

我对你有信心,你能做到的。不管怎样你都要先试一试才知道行不行。想不劳而 获也是不可能的。

H: Application is difficult, but study at the Law School is more demanding.The Socratic teaching method daunts me.

申请很困难,而在法学院学习则更吃力。我被苏格拉底教学法吓到了。

J: What’s so horrible about it?

为什么这么恐怖呀?

H: Law School professors love debating with students. Every semester, each student must have at least one or two heated debates with each professor who teaches them. The debate sometime lasts for over ten minutes.

法学院教授都爱与学生辩论。每学期每个学生至少要与教他们的每一个教授进行 1?2次的激烈辩论,有的还长达10分钟以上。

J: As long as you,re prepared, you don’t have to worry too much.

只要你准备充分,就不用太担心。

H: I’m worried about my English. After all, Fm not a native speaker.

我很担心我的英语啊,毕竟我的母语不是英语

J: Your English is pretty good now. Irm sure you’ll have a good command of English after staying in America for some time.

你的英语已经很好啦,我相信你在美国学习一段时间后一定会很精通英语的。

H: I believe so. Where there is will, there is a way.

我相信是,有志者事竟成嘛!

J: By the way, how much do you know about Harvard Law School?

对了,你对哈佛法学院的了解有多少?

H: Are you testing me? Don’t underestimate me, I,ve been collecting information about Law School.

你在考我吗?别小看我哦,我已经收集了很多关于它的信息。

J: Tell me something I don’t know.

那讲些我不知道的结我听听。

H: Do you know how many current Supreme Court justices are Harvard Law School graduates?

你知道现在有多少最高法院的法官是哈佛法学院的毕业生吗?

J: You got me. How many?

还真被你问住了,有多少?

H: Six. Isn’t it amazing? You know, there5re only nine justices in Supreme Court in total!

6个!惊讶吧?伯^知道吗,最高法院的法官总共才9个。

J: The Law School deserves its high reputation.

法学院真是名不虚传啊。

H: And a quarter of all Supreme Court clerks in the last five years come from Harvard Law School.

在过去的5年里,最高法院有1/4的司法人员都来自于哈佛法学院。

J: Incredible.

哇,难以置信!

H: Maybe I can be a member of the Supreme Court if everything goes well.

如果一切顺利的话,说不定我以后能成为最高法院的一员呢。

J: President Obama also graduated from Harvard Law School.

奥巴马总统也是哈佛法学院毕业的。

H: I know. The blacks had their turn, now it’s women’s turn. I want to do something for women.

我知道,黑人早已经翻身掌权,现在轮到女同胞了。我一定要为女同胞们做点事。

J: Oh, My! You’re so ambitious.

噢,上帝!你还真有雄心壮志。

H: I prefer to believe that’s a compliment,

我宁愿相信这是一句赞美的话。

J: It is. Cross my heart.

是啊,我发誓。