实战口语情景对话 第753期:City vs Country 城市还是乡村
Joel: So, Michele, you said you are from Canada.
乔尔:米歇尔,你说过你来自加拿大。
Michele: Yeah.
米歇尔:对。
Joel: What part of Canada?
乔尔:你来自加拿大哪里?
Michele: I lived in Ontario in a small town called Beaverton.
米歇尔:我住在安大略省一个叫做比弗顿的小镇。
Joel: Beaverton. And so how big is the town?
乔尔:比弗顿。这个城镇有多大?
Michele: It was pretty small, about seven or eight thousand people I think.
米歇尔:比弗顿非常小,我想人口大概只有七八千人。
Joel: Wow, that's pretty small.
乔尔:哇,那真的非常小。
Michele: Yeah.
米歇尔:对。
Joel: Did you like that?
乔尔:你喜欢那里吗?
Michele: I think when I was really little I liked it. It was nice to play outside with your friends and we always felt really safe. When I got older as a teenager, sometimes I thought it was pretty boring being in such a small town, but I think overall it was good to live in a small town.
米歇尔:我小的时候非常喜欢那里。在室外和朋友们一起玩非常美好,而且我们一直有安全感。我渐渐长大进入青少年时期以后,有时我会认为生活在这么小的一个城镇非常无聊,不过总体来说,我觉得生活在一个小城镇很好。
Joel: What would you do for fun when you were a teenager?
乔尔:你青少年时期有什么休闲活动?
Michele: Well, there was actually a movie theater in our small town so sometimes we'd go to the theater but it wasn't a great one. We usually went outside of the town into the city to go shopping or see a movie.
米歇尔:嗯,我们那个小城镇有一家电影院,有时我们会去看电影,不过不是太好。通常我们会去城市里购物、看电影。
Joel: And so since then have you lived in any big cities?
乔尔:那你之后在大城市生活过吗?
Michele: I've lived near Tokyo in Japan, so that's a pretty big city. Yeah.
米歇尔:我在日本东京生活过,东京是个非常大的城市。
Joel: So I guess you prefer that then... to your hometown?
乔尔:我猜,相比你的家乡,你更喜欢东京是吗?
Michele: Well, actually I felt that Tokyo was too big of a city.
米歇尔:嗯,实际上我感觉东京这座城市太大了。
Joel: OK.
乔尔:好。
Michele: Yeah, so..
米歇尔:所以……
Joel: It's the opposite extreme.
乔尔:这是两个对立的极端。
Michele: Yeah, it's so crowded and the people aren't as friendly so...
米歇尔:对,东京非常拥挤,人们也不那么友好,所以……
Joel: That's probably a big difference between a small town and a big town, huh? Like you know practically everyone.
乔尔:这可能是小城镇和大城市的最大不同,对吗?在小城镇,你几乎认识所有人。
Michele: Yeah.
米歇尔:对。
Joel: So, you walk into a store. You walk down the street, you can say 'hi' to almost everyone.
乔尔:比如走进一家商店,或是在街头漫步,你几乎可以和所有人打招呼。
Michele: Yeah, well, actually, I've also lived in a really small town in Japan too and I prefered the small town in Japan to the big city like Tokyo. The people in the small town knew my name and were very friendly. If I needed any help then because it's a small town, everybody knows everything about the things in the town so if I needed to find a place or if I wanted to join a club I could easily get the information in a small town, whereas in a big city people don't know the things as well, so.
米歇尔:对,我也在日本的一个小城镇生活过,相比大城市东京,我更喜欢日本的小城镇。小城镇里的人们知道我的名字,而且非常友好。在小城镇基本上所有人对各方面情况都很了解,如果我需要帮助,如果我要找一个地址或是我想加入一个俱乐部,我可以很容易地得到信息,可是在大城市人们就不是那么了解了。
Joel: You also have to be careful what you do because everyone will talk.
乔尔:你要小心你的行为,因为人们什么都会说。
Michele: That's true.
米歇尔:没错。
Joel: You can't hide.
乔尔:你不能隐藏。
Michele: In a small town, you don't have as much privacy but I think the friendliness outweighs the privacy issues.
米歇尔:小城镇没有太多隐私,不过我认为友好比隐私重要。
Joel: OK, thanks Michele.
乔尔:好,谢谢你,米歇尔。
Michele: You're welcome.
米歇尔:不客气。
相关文章
- 实战口语情景对话 第1374期:Overcoming Fear 克服恐惧(2)
- 实战口语情景对话 第1373期:Overcoming Fear 克服恐惧(1)
- 实战口语情景对话 第1340期:Burgers and Baseball 汉堡和棒球(1)
- 实战口语情景对话 第1382期:Would you buy a computer secondhand? 你会买二手电脑吗?
- 实战口语情景对话 第1381期:Do you read food labels? 你看食品标签吗?
- 实战口语情景对话 第1380期:Breaking Bad Habits 改掉坏习惯(2)
- 实战口语情景对话 第1379期:Breaking Bad Habits 改掉坏习惯(1)
- 实战口语情景对话 第1378期:Health Idioms 健康习语(2)
- 实战口语情景对话 第1377期:Health Idioms 健康习语(1)
- 实战口语情景对话 第1376期:Talent Wish 希望拥有的才能(2)