和谐英语

您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语口语 > 实战口语情景对话

正文

实战口语情景对话 第1179期:Brain Drain 人才流失

2018-03-08来源:和谐英语

Doron: In England I don't think we have much of a problem with brain drain, but I think we have, like an internal problem maybe, like all of the best jobs, or at least the best paying jobs, seem to be in London. So like, a lot of people have to move to London if they want to do the job they're interested in, and it just makes London really crowded and expensive because everybody has to live there, it seems.
多伦:我认为我们英国没有什么人才流失的问题,不过我们有内部问题,比如所有的好工作或至少是工资高的工作看起来都在伦敦。所以,如果人们想做感兴趣的工作,他们就会搬去伦敦,这样一来伦敦就变得非常拥挤,而且物价昂贵,因为所有人都要在那里生活。

Pernais: Sounds like Kingston.
佩纳斯:听起来和金斯敦很像。

Doron: Really?
多伦:是吗?

Pernais: Yes.
佩纳斯:对。

Doron: Everybody moves to Kingston?
多伦:在牙买加,所有人都会搬去金斯敦吗?

Pernais: Everybody's moving from rural areas to Kingston.
佩纳斯:所有人都从乡村地区搬去金斯敦。

Doron: What's the population of Kingston now, do you know?
多伦:你知道金斯敦现在有多少人口吗?

Pernais: I think it's about a half a million.
佩纳斯:我想大概有50万人。

Doron: Half a million. And was it much smaller before?
多伦:50万。以前人口要少很多吗?

Pernais: I think it was because a lot of people lived out in the countryside, because farming was very profitable, maybe, some decades ago. But now that, you know, technology is changing everything, people want, like, office jobs and they want to earn more, so lots of people actually move into the city areas now.
佩纳斯:我想是的,因为以前有许多人生活在乡村,大约几十年前,务农能挣很多钱。不过现在,科技改变了一切,人们想做办公室工作,想挣更多钱,所以许多人搬到城市去了。

Doron: Yeah, I think technology in the near future might actually help to stop that because you can pretty much do most jobs online from anywhere. It's like, personally, I wouldn't want to live in London. I'd rather live somewhere a little more rural, more peaceful, cheaper, and be able to do my job online. So maybe that's something that'll change in the near future.
多伦:对,我认为在不久的将来,科技可能有助于改变这种情况,因为无论你在任何地方,大部分工作都可以在网上做。就我个人来说,我不想在伦敦生活。我更想在乡村生活,在更宁静、物价更便宜的地方生活,我可以在网上做工作。那可能是不久的将来会发生的改变。

Pernais: Hopefully.
佩纳斯:希望如此。

Doron: Are you from Kingston?
多伦:你来自金斯敦吗?

Pernais: I am.
佩纳斯:对。

Doron: Are you actually from the middle of Kingston? I remember you have a town with a really cool name, right?
多伦:你来自金斯敦市中心?我记得有一个城镇有一个很酷的名字,对吧?

Pernais: I'm not from the middle of Kingston. I'm from... just outside city center.
佩纳斯:我不是来自金斯敦市中心。我来自市中心外的郊区。

Doron: How far outside city center?
多伦:离市中心有多远?

Pernais: 8 miles from Kingston.
佩纳斯:离金斯敦大约有8英里。

Doron: And what's the name of your hometown.
多伦:你家乡是哪里?

Pernais: My hometown is called Bull Bay.
佩纳斯:我的家乡是公牛湾。

Doron: Bull Bay?
多伦:公牛湾?

Pernais: Yes.
佩纳斯:对。

Doron: I thought it was called "8 miles from Kingston".
多伦:我以为是“离金斯敦8英里”。

Pernais: Sometimes they call it that.
佩纳斯:有时他们也这么叫。

Doron: Were you kidding me when you said that?
多伦:你这么说是在和我开玩笑吗?

Pernais: No, the bigger part of it is called Bull Bay and then that's subdivided into 8 miles, 9 miles, 7 miles.
佩纳斯:没有,统称为公牛湾,不过可以细分为8英里、9英里和7英里。

Doron: So place names outside of Kingston are actually named after how far they are from Kingston.
多伦:金斯敦郊区的名字是以它们和金斯敦的距离命名的。

Pernais: Yes.
佩纳斯:对。

Doron: That's one of the coolest things I've ever heard. I live 8 miles from Kingston. Where do you live? I live in 12 miles from London. That's a great name.
多伦:那是我听过的最酷的事情之一。我生活在离金斯敦8英里处。你住在哪里?我住在离伦敦12英里处。那是个不错的名字。

Pernais: Or sometimes it's shortened to 8 miles
.佩纳斯:有时可以简称为8英里。

Doron: Wow. Like in Detroit. Maybe that's what it means, in the movie.
多伦:哇哦。就像底特律一样。也许在电影里就是那个意思。