我们讲的英语第51期: over the moon欣喜若狂
Li: Hello, I'm Li and welcome to The English We Speak.
李:你好,我是李,欢迎来到我们所说的英语。
Rob: And hello, I'm Rob. Now Li, I need to tell you something. You know John in the office? Well, he's got a new job.
罗伯:大家好,我是罗伯。现在李,我得告诉你一些事。你知道办公室的约翰吗?他换了一个新工作。
Li: That's great news. How is he feeling?
李:这是好消息啊。他感觉怎么样?
Rob: Well, obviously, he's over the moon.
罗伯:显然,他欣喜若狂啊。
Li: What? John is 'over the moon'? Is he going to be an astronaut?
李:什么?约翰在月亮之上?他要成为宇航员了吗?
Rob: No Li! Well, I don't think so. I just mean he's extremely pleased and happy.
罗伯:不是李!我想不是这样的。我只是说他非常满意和开心。
Li: Oh I see. I know in the nursery rhyme Hey Diddle Diddle, "the cow jumped over the moon", but I've never heard of a man jumping over the moon, so he must be very, very, very excited.
李:哦,我知道了。我知道在儿歌摇啊摇里“牛跳到了月亮之上”,但是我从没听过一个人跳到月亮之上,所以他一定非常非常激动。
Rob: It's just a saying Li. He's not actually jumping over the moon. We say it to show that he's so excited that, in theory, he could jump as high as the moon!
罗伯:这只是一种形容李。他并没有真的跳到月亮之上。我们用它来表示他太激动了以至于理论上他可以跳的和月亮一样高。
Li: And over it!
李:并且超过月亮!
Rob: Li, do you know how high the moon really is?
罗伯:李,你知道月亮实际上有多高吗?
Li: No, but I know it's a long way away.
李:不知道,但是我知道那是距离很远的地方。
Rob: It certainly is! Let's hear some more examples of people being over the moon...
罗伯:它确实是!让我们来听更多的人们欣喜若狂的例子。
When Jane heard she had won the lottery, she was over the moon.
当简听到她中了彩票的时候,她欣喜若狂。
When he found out he'd passed his exam he was over the moon.
当他发现自己通过考试的时候,他欣喜若狂。
I can't hide it; I'm over the moon about getting a promotion.
我藏不住了,我升职了因此欣喜若狂。
Li: So, being 'over the moon' means being very excited.
李:所以,在月亮之上的意思是欣喜若狂。
Rob: Of course John is not only over the moon about getting a new job, he's also on cloud nine.
罗伯:当然了约翰得到新工作不仅欣喜若狂还高兴得飘飘然了。
Li: What? Now he's on cloud nine?! Is he going to be an airline pilot then, or even a bird?
李:什么?现在他在9号云上?他将要成为飞机飞行员了或者一只鸟了?
Rob: Nothing like that. It's just another way of saying he's very excited and happy about something – he's up on a very high cloud – cloud nine.
罗伯:不是那样的。这只是另一种表现他对某事非常激动和开心的说法——他高兴得飘飘然了——飘飘然。
Li: I see.
李:我懂了。
Rob: Here's some more examples…
罗伯:以下是一些例子。
Julie got married last week and she's been on cloud nine ever since.
朱莉上周结婚了,自那以后她就高兴得飘飘然了。
I've never seen Fred so happy; he's been on cloud nine since he passed his exams!
我从没有见过弗雷德这么开心,自从他通过考试以后她就高兴得飘飘然了!
Rob: So now we know what to say about someone who's very excited and happy.
罗伯:所以现在我们知道如何形容某人非常激动和开心了。
Li: Yes, two good phrases. So, come on Rob, if John is not going to be a pilot or an astronaut, what is his new job? Something just as exciting maybe?
李:是的,两个好的短语。所以,来吧罗伯,如果约翰不会成为一名飞行员或宇航员,他的新工作是什么?或许是和这一样有趣的?
Rob: No – he's going to be an accountant.
罗伯:不,他将要成为一名会计。
Li: Oh, boring! Are you sure? Who is that I can see jumping over the moon? Look!
李:哦,无聊!你确定吗?我看到的那个跳到月亮之上的是谁?快看!
Rob: Is it a cow? Is it a bird? Is it a plane?
罗伯:这是一只牛吗?是一只鸟吗?是一架飞机吗?
Li: No, no, no – it's John – he really is over the moon! And he really is a star!
李:不,不,不,那是约翰,他确实在月亮之上了!而且他确实是一个星星!
Rob: Come on Li, let's get down to earth and say goodbye to everybody.
罗伯:算了吧,李。我们脚踏实地然后跟大家说再见吧。
Li: Bye! See you next week for more The English We Speak. Rob, I think he got stuck over there!
李:再见!下周见获取更多的我们所说的英语。罗伯,我觉得他卡在那里了!
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移