我们讲的英语第53期: with a pinch of salt不完全相信
Kaz: Hi. You're listening to The English We Speak. I'm Kaz and today I'm having dinner at Li's house.
卡兹:大家好,您正在收听我们所说的英语。我是卡兹,今天我在李的家里吃晚餐。
Li: Hi, I'm Li and I've prepared some chocolate mousse for dessert.
李:大家好,我是李,我晚餐准备了一些巧克力慕斯。
Kaz: Oh thanks. I love chocolate mousse. Mmm, it's delicious.
卡兹:哦谢谢。我喜欢巧克力慕斯。嗯,这很美味。
Li: Good! Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yes, I don't know if I want to stay in this house. I mean, Chris thinks it's haunted and that there are ghosts here! He says he can sense their presence...
李:很好!不管怎样,我刚才在说什么?哦是的,我不知道是否想带着这个房子里。我的意思是,克里斯觉得这个房子闹鬼而且这里有一些鬼!他说他能感觉到它们的存在。
Kaz: Really? I can't sense anything.
卡兹:真的吗?我感觉不到任何东西。
Li: Shhh... listen? Can you hear something?
李:嘘...听?你能听到吗?
Kaz: No Li, I can't hear anything - just the wind outside. If you want my advice, you should take it with a pinch of salt.
卡兹:不,李,我听不到任何东西——只有外面的风。如果你需要我的建议,你应该不要全部相信这个。
Li: OK, I will... Yuck! That's disgusting.
李:好的,我会的...恶心!这太恶心了。
Kaz: Li, what are you doing?
卡兹:李,你在干什么?
Li: I just ate my chocolate mousse with a pinch of salt, as you suggested, and it's absolutely disgusting.
李:我刚刚在巧克力慕斯里加上了少量的盐,正如你所建议的,但这完完全全令人恶心。
Kaz: Li, I was talking about what Chris said about ghosts in your house. In English, if you take something with a pinch of salt, it means you don't completely believe it.
卡兹:李,我刚才说的是关于克里斯说的你房间里有鬼的事。在英语中,如果你把某事加上少量的盐,意思是你并不完全相信这件事。
Li: Really? What a weird expression. So if I take something with a pinch of salt, it means I doubt whether something is true.
李:真的吗?真是个奇怪的表达。那么如果我把某事加上少量的盐,这意思是我质疑这件事是否正确。
Kaz: Yes, and sometimes Chris does exaggerate, so you shouldn't always believe everything he says.
卡兹:是的,有些时候克里斯的确扩大事实,所以你不应该总是相信他说的所有事。
Li: Let's hear some examples:
李:让我们来听一些例子:
Apparently they're going to sell the company and make everyone redundant.
显然他们不会卖掉公司来让所有人被解雇。
You should take it with a pinch of salt; it's only a rumour.
你应该别完全相信这个,这只是个流言。
The other day he told me he speaks 23 languages fluently.
那天他告诉我他会流利地说23种语言。
I take everything he says with a pinch of salt because I know he likes to exaggerate.
我并不完全相信他说的因为我知道他喜欢夸张。
Li: Ah, right. So when Chris told me there were spirits or ghosts in my house, I should take it with a pinch of salt. Maybe he's just making it up to scare me!
李:啊,是的。所以当克里斯告诉我我的房子里有灵魂或鬼魂,我应该不完全相信。或许他只是编造来吓我!
Kaz: I'm sure he just said it as a joke. Do you want some more chocolate mousse - without a pinch of salt this time?
卡兹:我确定他只是当做玩笑说的。你想再来点巧克力慕斯吗——这次是没有盐的?
Li: Good idea. Mmm, it does taste really nice without salt.
李:好主意。嗯,不加盐确实尝起来很好。
Li: What was that?
李:那是什么?
Kaz: It's probably the wind?
卡兹:那或许是风?
Li: It's not the wind. Someone's in the house! Look, there's someone coming into the room!
李:那不是风。有人在屋子里!看,有人正在进到房间里!
voice: Ooooo, Oooooooo, I'm a ghost!
声音:呜,呜,我是鬼魂!
Kaz: What the...? Hang on a minute, I recognise that voice.
卡兹:什么?等一下,我听出这个声音了。
Li: Chris, Chris? Is that you? Why are you covered in a white sheet?
李:克里斯,克里斯?那是你吗?你为什么披着白色的床单?
Chris: I'm a ghost that's come to haunt you... I heard you made some chocolate mousse, Li, so I came over to eat some... Ooooo...
克里斯:我是来访问你的鬼魂...我听说你做了一些巧克力慕斯,李,所以我来吃一些...呜...
Li: You scared us! I really do have to take what you say and do with a pinch of salt.
李:你吓到我们了!我真的应该不完全相信你说的和做的。
Chris: Mmm... delicious!
克里斯:嗯...好吃!
All: Bye!
一起:再见!
Li: Unbelievable!
李:难以置信!
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移