和谐英语

您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语口语 > 我们讲的英语

正文

我们讲的英语第56期: use your loaf动动脑筋

2014-03-14来源:和谐英语

我们讲的英语

Rob: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak with me Rob and a very hungry-looking Li.
罗伯:大家好,欢迎来到我们所说的英语,我是罗伯,和我一起的是看起来很饿的李。

Li: Hello.
李:大家好。

Rob: Erm, Li, you're talking with your mouth full. Can you wait till lunchtime please?
罗伯:额,李,你说话的时候满嘴都是食物。你能等到午餐时间再吃吗?

Li: No I can't - I'm starving.
李:不我不行——我要饿死了。

Rob: Well, be careful - you're making such a mess in here.
罗伯:那么,小心点——你把这里弄得很乱。

Li: Ever since I started jogging before work, I just have to eat a big snack mid-morning or I feel faint by lunchtime.
李:自从我开始在工作之前慢跑,我需要在上午吃很大一顿零食否则我在午餐之前就会虚弱得昏倒。

Rob: Well, maybe, but you know you're not supposed to eat food in the studio. It's a really bad idea - you could damage the equipment. Oh no - look! There's salad and mayonnaise all over the recording desk! Li, use your loaf!
罗伯:或许吧,但是你知道你不应该在演播室吃东西的。这真的是个坏想法,你有可能会损坏设备。哦不,看!录音桌子上全都是沙拉和蛋黄酱!李,动动脑筋吧!

Li: Use my loaf? Yes, that's a good idea. If I use bread, I can make a sandwich, which will be much tidier.
李:用我的面包?是啊,这是个好主意。如果我用面包,我可以做一个三明治,这样就干净多了。

Rob: No, I mean use your brain - think about things before you do them!
罗伯:不,我的意思是用用你的脑子——在做事之前先思考一下!

Li: Eh?
李:嗯?

Rob: Well, in English, if you are slightly annoyed with someone because they are doing something they haven't thought about properly, you can say 'use your loaf'.
罗伯:在英语中,如果你对某人微微有些生气因为他们做了某件没有慎重考虑的事,你可以说“动动脑筋”。

Li: Oh I see. Loaf here is slang for head.
李:哦我知道了。面包在这里是大脑的俚语表示。

Rob: That's right. It's a little old-fashioned but it's still something you might hear. My parents or grandparents would use it for when I did something a bit… stupid.
罗伯:说得对。这有一点过时但是它还是你可能会听到的。我的父母和祖父母会在我做了一些愚蠢的事时用它。

Li: Here are some examples.
李:以下是一些例子。

Old man: Use your loaf, son. Don't ride your bike on the motorway at night without lights. You'll get yourself killed.
老年人:动动脑筋,儿子。不要在没有灯的夜晚在机动车道上骑自行车。你会被撞死的。

Dad: Why oh why oh why were you playing football in your school trousers?! Use your loaf! You have holes in your knees again!
父亲:你为什么穿着校服裤子踢足球?!动动脑筋!你的膝盖又有破洞了!

Child: Sorry, Daddy.
孩子:抱歉,爸爸。

Li: So, 'use your loaf' means think about things before you do them otherwise you will make silly mistakes.
李:所以,“动动脑筋”的意思是在做事之前考虑一下否则你会犯下愚蠢的错误。

Rob: That's right. So Li, use your loaf and stop eating food in the studio.
罗伯:说得对。所以李,动动脑筋,不要在演播室吃东西了。

Li: Yes, next time I'll use my loaf and eat sandwiches.
李:是的,下次我会动动脑筋,然后吃三明治。

Rob: No, don't eat food of any kind in the studio – not even sandwiches.
罗伯:不,不要在演播室吃任何食物——甚至是三明治。

Li: But sandwiches are nice and tidy.
李:但是三明治很好又干净。

Rob: No they're not. You'll get lots of little crumbs everywhere.
罗伯:不,它们不干净。你会你会弄得到处都是碎屑的。

Li: How about an apple?
李:那一个苹果怎么样?

Rob: No! Juice might drip!
罗伯:不行!果汁会滴的!

Li: A banana?
李:香蕉?

Rob: No Li... oh goodness!
罗伯:不行李...哦天啊!