和谐英语

您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语口语 > 我们讲的英语

正文

我们讲的英语第69期: hunkydory一切都好

2014-03-20来源:和谐英语

我们讲的英语

Helen: Hi, I'm Helen, and welcome to The English We Speak. Sorry, I'll be with you in a minute, Chris – I'm just on the phone to Rob...
海伦:大家好,我是海伦,欢迎来到我们所说的英语。抱歉,我一分钟就回来,克里斯,我正和罗伯打电话呢。

Chris: Sure.
克里斯:好的。

Helen: Rob, do you need me to come and record with you in the studio this afternoon?
海伦:罗伯,你今天下午需要我来和你一起到演播室录音吗?

Rob: No, don't worry – I've got Neil coming over to record with me. Everything's hunky-dory.
罗伯:不用,别担心。尼尔和我一起来录音。一切都很好。

Helen: Everything's wha-?
海伦:一切都什么?

Rob: Gotta go. Speak to you later – bye!
罗伯:得挂了。待会再说,再见!

Helen: OK, b- … Oh, he hung up.
海伦:好吧,再...哦,他挂了。

Chris: Having a busy day, Helen?
克里斯:很忙的一天啊,海伦?

Helen: Yes, it's been so busy – I've got to move all these boxes. How is your day going?
海伦:是的,太忙了——我得把这些盒子移走。你今天怎么样?

Chris: No problems really. I've finished my script and I've already recorded another programme with Rosie... I'm hunky-dory.
克里斯:没什么问题。我写完了我的脚本,而且我已经录完了另一个和罗西的节目...我一切都好。

Helen: Hunky-dory? That's what Rob just said to me. Neither of you is very hunky though…
海伦:一切都好?这是刚才罗伯和我说的。但你们都不是魁伟的人。

Chris: What?!
克里斯:什么?

Helen: Well, hunky means muscular doesn't it?
海伦:这是魁伟的意思不是吗?

Chris: Well yes, hunky is a slang word for describing someone who is muscular…
克里斯:是的,魁伟是描述某人很有肌肉的俚语。

Helen: So, you're not telling the truth when you say, 'I'm hunky… Dory'. My name's not 'Dory' though – why do you call me that?
海伦:所以,当你说你很“魁伟”的时候并没有说实话。而且我的名字也不是“多里”,你为什么这么叫我?

Chris: I wasn't lying and saying 'I'm hunky'… and I wasn't calling you 'Dory' either. The phrase hunky-dory doesn't have anything to do with being muscular – it's an informal way of saying something's fine or satisfactory.
克里斯:我说“我很魁伟”的时候没有撒谎,而且我也不是在叫你“多里”。这个短语和肌肉没有任何关系——这是一个不太正式的说法形容某事很好或很令人满意。

Helen: Ohhhh… It's a bit of a strange phrase though.
海伦:哦,但这是个有点奇怪的短语。

Chris: Yes, it is. No-one really knows where it comes from, other than it's believed to be an American phrase.
克里斯:是的。没人知道它怎么来的,只知道是一个美式短语。

Helen: I see. So how can you use it?
海伦:我知道了。那么怎么用呢?

Chris: Well, here are some examples:
克里斯:以下是一些例子:

I was really worried I'd lost her, but everything's hunky-dory now – she was waiting for me by the car.
我真的不担心我会失去她,但是现在一切都很好,她正在车旁等我。

Our washing machine broke last night. An engineer is coming to take a look at it today, so it should be hunky-dory soon.
我们的洗碗机昨晚坏了。一个维修师今天会来看一下,所以应该一会儿就好了。

Chris: So you can use hunky-dory as an informal way to say that a situation is fine.
克里斯:所以你可以用一切顺利作为不正式的形式来说某个情景很好。

Helen: Now I understand! … Well, sadly nothing is hunky-dory for me… I've got all these boxes to move.
海伦:现在我理解了!那么不幸的是我什么事都不好....我得把这些盒子都搬走。

Chris: Is that why you invited me here?
克里斯:这是你请我来这的原因吗?

Helen: Maybe…?
海伦:或许?

Chris: Hmm… right then, let's get on with it. Right, where do you want them?
克里斯:嗯...那么好吧,让我们来一起对付它吧。好的,你想把它们弄到哪里?

Helen: Just over there, thanks.
海伦:那里,谢谢。

Chris: OK…
克里斯:好的。

Helen: Haha! My work will soon be done! … Join us again for another edition of The English We Speak and visit our website, bbclearningenglish.com. Bye!
海伦:哈哈!我的任务不久就会完成了!加入我们来获取其他版本的我们所说的英语并访问我们的网站,bbclearningenglish.com.再见!