我们讲的英语第70期: things are looking up一切欣欣向荣
Chris: Hi, I'm Chris, and welcome to The English We Speak. It's a nice day here in London, so I've come outside to meet Helen. Ah, there she is! Helen, how are you?
克里斯:大家好,我是克里斯,欢迎来到我们所说的英语。今天伦敦是个好天气,所以我和海伦来外面见面。啊,她在那里!海伦,你好吗?
Helen: I'm... fine... thanks.
海伦:我,很好,谢谢。
Chris: What are you doing? What are you looking at?
克里斯:你在干什么?你在看什么?
Helen: I'm looking up.
海伦:我在向上看。
Chris: R-Right. But I can't see anything.
克里斯:好吧,但是我什么也看不到。
Helen: Neither can I.
海伦:我也是。
Chris: Have you seen an aeroplane or something?
克里斯:你看到飞机或什么其他的了吗?
Helen: Not sure...
海伦:不确定...
Chris: Maybe a bird?
克里斯:或许一只鸟?
Helen: Well, apparently things are looking up.
海伦:显然一切都向上看。
Chris: Things are looking up?
克里斯:一切都向上看?
Helen: Yes, Rosie told me that the weather has been sunny for the last three days, so things are looking up. I thought I'd come and see for myself... But there's not much going on to be honest.
海伦:是的,罗西告诉我最后三天天气晴朗,所以一切都向上看。我觉得我得来自己看一看。但是说实话没有什么发生。
Chris: Ah, I think you've misunderstood. Rosie didn't mean there are things up in the sky.
克里斯:啊,我觉得你误解了。罗西的意思不是天空中有事发生。
Helen: Really? What do you mean?
海伦:真的吗?什么意思?
Chris: It's an expression. You use the phrase 'things are looking up' when you want to suggest that conditions are getting better or more positive.
克里斯:这是个短语。当你想要表达情况正在好转或向积极的方向发展,你可以用“一切欣欣向荣”这个短语。
Helen: Oh, right...
海伦:哦,好吧。
Chris: Here are some examples:
克里斯:以下是一些例子:
My wife and I both found great new jobs last month, so things are looking up.
我的妻子和我上个月都找到了好的新工作,所以一切都欣欣向荣。
Things are finally looking up now that he's recovered from his illness.
事情现在终于好转了,他的病痊愈了。
Helen: So when Rosie told me that things were looking up, she meant that the weather has been getting better at the moment.
海伦:所以当罗西告诉我事情欣欣向荣,她的意思是天气当时正在好转。
Chris: Yes, she's suggesting that it looks like the weather in general is improving. So what do you think? Do you think the weather is getting better?
克里斯:是的,她的意思是看起来天气大体上在改善。那么你觉得呢?你觉得天气在好转吗?
Helen: So far, yes, yesterday was really hot. I hope it lasts for the weekend… But if things get worse, would you say, 'things are looking down'?
海伦:到目前为止,是的,昨天特别热。我希望一直延续到周末。但是如果情况变坏,你会说“事情正在向下”吗?
Chris: Not really. Instead, you could say: "It's taken a turn for the worse".
克里斯:不会的。相反,你可以说:“我正在转向坏的方向。”
Helen: It's taken a turn for the worse. That's a useful phrase.
海伦:转向坏的方向。这是个很有用的短语。
Chris: Oh, but hang on... look at that black cloud in the sky. It looks like it might rain after all. That's typical English weather!
克里斯:哦,但是等一下。看天空中那朵黑云。它看起来好像要下雨了。这是典型的英国天气!
Helen: Oh great. Things really have taken a turn for the worse! Quick, let's get back to the office before it rains.
海伦:哦太好了。事情真的转向坏的方向了!快,我们在下雨前回到办公室去。
Chris: Let's go! Do join us again for another edition of The English We Speak and visit our website, bbclearningenglish.com. Bye!
克里斯:我们走!一定要再次加入我们获取其他版本的我们所说的英语,并访问我们的网站,bbclearningenglish.com。再见!
Helen: Bye!
海伦:再见!
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移