我们讲的英语第109期:Easy tiger 放轻松
Rob: Hello, I'm Rob. And here comes Helen. Wow, she's changed her hair colour! It looks, well, different. Hi Helen I like your hair.
罗布:大家好,我是罗布。海伦来了。哇,她换了发色!看起来,有点儿不同。海伦,你好,我喜欢你的发型。
Helen: Don't say a word!
海伦:什么都别说!
Rob: Whoa!
罗布:哇!
Helen: I don't want to talk about it.
海伦:我不想谈这个。
Rob: About what? The fact you dyed your hair?
罗布:谈什么?你染发了这件事?
Helen: Enough!
海伦:够了!
Rob: Whoa! Easy tiger!
罗布:哇!放轻松!
Helen: I do not look like a tiger!
海伦:我看起来可不像老虎!
Rob: I never said you did. It's just an expression. Though come to think of it, your hair is kind of stripy orange now.
罗布:我可没说过你像老虎。这只是个表达方式。虽然想一下的话,你现在的头发是有点儿像桔黄色条纹。
(Helen starts sobbing)
(海伦开始抽泣)
Rob: OK, you really don't look like a tiger though. I said "easy tiger!" which is just a way of saying "calm down".
罗布:好啦,实际上你并不像老虎。easy tiger的意思是冷静下来。
Helen: It's all the hairdresser's fault. He told me I would look beautiful with copper highlights, then he did this to me. Now I have orange stripes, I look like a jungle animal.
海伦:这全是理发师的错。他告诉我要是把头发染成铜色我会看起来很漂亮,然后他就这么做了。可是现在我头发上是橙色的条纹,我看起来像是野生动物。
Rob: No, you don't look like a jungle animal. Listen to me. We say "easy tiger" when we want someone to calm down, to not get over-emotional, or not to rush into something.
罗布:不,你看起来并不像野生动物。听我说,我们说easy tiger,意思是我们需要某个人冷静,不要情绪化,不要草率行动。
Helen: Oh. You're talking about tigers because of the way I'm behaving, not because of my hair?
海伦:哦。你谈到老虎只是因为我的行为,而不是因为我的头发吗?
Rob: That's right. It's an expression that's usually used in informal situations, between friends. Here are some more examples.
罗布:没错。这是通常用于非正式场合的表达方式,通常在朋友之间使用。这里有更多的例子。
Girl 1: I've just met the perfect man–he is tall, handsome, kind... I'm going to marry him and have children-we'll live together in a house by the sea, we'll -
女孩1:我刚刚遇到了一个完美男人——他身材高大、英俊、善良……我要和他结婚并生儿育女,我们要一起生活在海边的房子里,我们要……
Girl 2: Easy tiger! Do you even know his name?
女孩2:慢慢来!你知道他的名字吗?
Man: Right, this food is disgusting, we're leaving the restaurant right now!
男:这个食物真令人恶心,我们现在就要离开这个餐厅!
Woman: Easy tiger! I quite like it here. Let's wait until the main course comes.
女:放轻松!我非常喜欢这里。我们等主菜上来吧。
Helen: I understand. Maybe my hair is not so bad after all.
海伦:我明白了。也许我的头发还不是那么糟。
Rob: No, it's just unusual. It doesn't make you look like a tiger... I'd say more of an orangutan than a tiger...
罗布:对,只是有点特别。你的头发看上去并不像老虎……我觉得比起老虎,更像猩猩……
Helen: What! An orangutan!
海伦:什么?猩猩!
Rob: Orangutans are very handsome creatures; they're a kind of rich auburn-copper colour.
罗布:猩猩是非常帅气的生物;猩猩是红褐色的。
Helen: How dare you!
海伦:你怎么敢!
Rob: Don't bare your teeth like that, that's scary. Please…
罗布:别像那样呲牙,那很可怕。请……
(Sound of a real growling tiger!)
(听起来像真的老虎在咆哮)
Rob: Easy tiger, easy!
罗布:放轻松,轻松点!
(Tiger growling and huge roar).
(老虎咆哮发出巨大的吼声)
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移