我们讲的英语第110期:Stuffed 吃饱
Li: Neil, can we get this programme done now? I need to get some stuff for my Sunday roast dinner.
李:尼尔,我们现在可以结束节目了吗?我要为周日的烤肉大餐准备材料。
Neil: I am stuffed! Oh, totally stuffed (burp)I'm sorry!
尼尔:我吃饱了!哦,我完全吃饱了,(打嗝)不好意思!
Li: Well, since today's words are stuff and stuffed, I think you will be just perfect to explain them.
李:既然今天要讲的单词是物品和吃饱了,我想你很完美地解释了它们。
Neil: Oh that's easy. I knew I was going to a launch party this lunchtime, so I skipped breakfast.
尼尔:那很简单。我知道我要在午饭时间参加派对,所以我没有吃早饭。
Li: That's not good.
李:这可不好。
Neil: Anyway, I got there and a lovely buffet was set up. The stuff on offer looked great.
尼尔:不管怎么说,我到了那里,看到了准备好的自助餐。供应的食物看上去好极了。
Li: Stuff? You mean the food?
李:东西?你是指食物吗?
Neil: Yes. The word 'stuff' can mean anything really. It almost has the same meaning as 'things'. Let's hear these people:
尼尔:对。实际上这个词可以代表任何事情。它基本上同“东西”这个词同意。我们来看一些例子:
We need to clear the lockers. Can you get all your stuff out by 7pm tonight.
我们需要清理这个储物柜。你能在今晚七点前把你的东西都拿出来吗?
The amount of stuff she's got in her bathroom is unbelievable. She's got enough to open a beauty shop.
她放在浴室里的东西的数量简直不可思议。她都能开个美容店了。
Woman: What's that stuff on your jacket?
女:你夹克上的那是什么东西?
Man: Er, it's pigeon dropping. Yuck.
男:额,好像是鸽子屎。真恶心。
Li: Well, we hear the word stuff used a lot in conversations. People say it all the time. My stuff, your stuff, his stuff. All referring to things.
李:我们看到了这个词在很多对话中的应用。人们一直在用这个词。我的东西,你的东西,他的东西。所有的例子都表示“东西”这个意思。
Neil: Yes. You can also use it like a verb: I stuffed myself with food.
尼尔:对。这个词也可以用作动词:我吃饱了。
Li: You are stuffed? Completely full?
李:你吃饱了?完全吃饱了?
Neil: Yes, I am completely stuffed, I can barely move.
尼尔:对,我完全吃饱了,我都动不了了。
Li: What about stuffed toys? I see them a lot in toyshops. You look just like one of those stuffed toys!
李:那填充玩具呢?我在玩具店里经常看到。你看起来就像一个填充玩具!
Neil: I can't stand them. They are stuffed full of wool or cotton or something. They are for girls; I much prefer proper wooden toys.
尼尔:我可受不了那些玩具。它们填满了羊毛、棉花或是其他东西。它们都是给女孩子玩的;我更喜欢木制玩具。
Li: Maybe you'd prefer a wooden pillow too?
李:也许你也更喜欢木枕头吧?
Neil: Are you joking! I've got to have a nice and soft pillow. But I must make sure it has the right stuffing in it?
尼尔:你开玩笑呢吧!我要买一个柔软的枕头。可是我必须要确保里面是好的填充物。
Li: What's the right stuffing?
李:什么是好的填充物?
Neil: Anything but feather or duck down.
尼尔:除了羽毛和鸭绒的任何东西。
Li: Why?
李:为什么?
Neil: Allergies. I can't stand anything stuffed with feathers.
尼尔:过敏。我受不了羽毛填充物。
Li: I think we've talked long enough about stuff you eat for lunch, stuff that you liked and stuff that gives you allergies.
李:我想我们谈了足够长的时间,谈了午饭吃的食物,谈了你喜欢的东西,还有会让你过敏的东西。
Neil: Well, it's time for you to get your stuff ready for Sunday Roast.
尼尔:现在是你为周日的烤肉大餐准备材料的时间了。
Li: That's right. Join us next time. Bye bye!
李:没错。我们下次节目再见。再见!
Neil: Bye!
尼尔:再见!
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移