我们讲的英语第133期:Do 宴会
Neil: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Neil Edgeller.
尼尔:大家好,欢迎收听地道英语节目。我是尼尔·埃杰勒。
Feifei: And I'm Feng Feifei. Neil, you look terrible! You've got red eyes, grey skin and your voice is so rough!
菲菲:我是冯菲菲。尼尔,你看起来很糟糕!你的眼睛发红,肤色发灰,声音沙哑!
Neil: Oh, Feifei, you're right. I feel terrible. I went to a leaving do last night and I drank too much beer... and wine...
尼尔:菲菲,你说得没错。我感觉很糟。我昨晚参加了一个欢送会,我喝了太多啤酒,还有红酒……
Feifei: A leaving do? Do?
菲菲:一个leaving do?Do?
Neil: Yes, a leaving do. A colleague has got a job at another company and had a party to celebrate his last day.
尼尔:对,一个欢送会。一个同事在另一家公司找到了份新工作,所以他办了个聚会来庆祝他在这里的最后一天。
Feifei: So it was a party?
菲菲:所以那是个派对?
Neil: Yes, that's what I said. It was a leaving do.
尼尔:对,就是我刚才说过的,一个欢送会。
Feifei: Right, so 'do' is a noun and it means party?
菲菲:好,所以do在这里是个名词,意思是聚会?
Neil: Yes, that's right. It's British English. Urgh.
尼尔:对,没错。这是英式英语。
Feifei: Ah, so in British English, another word for party is 'do'.
菲菲:所以在英式英语中,派对也可以用do来表示。
A: Did you enjoy Mary's wedding?
A:你在玛丽的婚礼上玩得开心吗?
B: Oh, it was an amazing do. The food was delicious and there was an excellent band playing. We danced all night!
B:哦,那真是个非常精彩的宴会。食物非常好吃,而且乐队演奏非常棒。我们整晚都在跳舞!
A: Oh, hi Dave. We're having a bit of a do on Saturday and wondered if you and Sally would like to come over?
A:你好,戴夫。我们打算周六举行一场小型宴会,不知道你和萨莉愿不愿意来参加?
B: Thanks, that would be great. You two always put on a good do.
B:谢谢你,那真是太好了。你们两个人总是举办精彩的宴会。
Feifei: So is this a common word?
菲菲:所以这个词很常用吗?
Neil: Yes, you'll hear it all the time: especially in certain phrases.
尼尔:对,你会经常听到这个词;尤其是在特定的词组中。
Feifei: Like what?
菲菲:举例来说呢?
Neil: Well, a leaving do.
尼尔:比如欢送会。
Feifei: A leaving do.
菲菲:欢送会。
Neil: And a bit of a do–we're having a bit of a do.
尼尔:还有小型聚会,我们计划办场小型聚会。
Feifei: A bit of a do. So, was it a good leaving do last night?
菲菲:小型聚会。那昨晚的欢送会精彩吗?
Neil: Um, yes, yes, yes it was very good... I think. I can't really remember...
尼尔:嗯,很棒,非常精彩……我想,其实我不太记得了……
Feifei: Go home and get some sleep!
菲菲:回家睡一会儿吧!
Neil: That's a very, very good idea. Bye for now.
尼尔:这是个非常棒的主意。现在该结束节目了。
Feifei: Bye!
菲菲:再见!
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移