我们讲的英语第196期:water off a duck's back 毫无影响
重点讲解:
1. take one's mind off sth.
使暂时忘记(某一问题或不愉快的情况);
eg. 'How about a game of tennis?' suggested Alan. 'That'll take your mind off things.'
“打一场网球怎么样?”艾伦建议说,“那样会让你暂时忘掉烦心事。”
eg. Hard work always takes your mind off domestic problems.
工作一劳累就使人不再想着家庭问题了。
2. take notice of
注意;关注;
eg. We want the government to take notice of what we think they should do for single parents.
我们希望政府能够关注单亲父母,为他们做一些应该做的事。
eg. I hope you'll take notice of what I'm going to tell you.
我希望你会注意我要告诉你的事情。
3. water off a duck's back
毫无效果的;不起作用的;
eg. All the criticism is water off a duck's back to me.
批评对我来说左耳进右耳出,毫无影响。
eg. The doctors tell us it's dangerous to smoke, but such good advice rolls off some people like water off a duck's back.
医生告诉我们抽烟有害。可是这样好的劝告对有些人来说毫无作用。
4. make sense
可以理解;讲得通;
eg. I can't follow these instructions — they don't make sense.
我不理解这些指示,根本讲不通嘛。
eg. Up to a point , Prof Goldstein's results make sense.
到此为止,哥尔斯坦教授的实验结果都合情合理。
5. give up on
对…绝望;对…不抱希望;
eg. This is the point at which many patients give up on therapy.
就是因为这一点,许多病人放弃治疗。
eg. And I guess a kind of lesson from my life so far is to never give up on your friends.
我想,至此我从生活中获得了教益,即永远不要放弃自己的朋友。
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移