撤资
SCENE① C 艾文跌跌撞撞进了文斯的隔间
【撤资】
Vince: I just talked with the venture capitalists. If we don't follow Zina's timeline, they'll pull the plug.
文斯: 我才跟我们的投资方谈过。若我们不照吉娜的时间表进行,他们就撤资。
Elvin: Well, they're going to find out real soon that her timeline is impossible.
艾文: 好啊,他们很快就会发现,她的时间表是不可能的。
Vince: Maybe not. Zina got Vikam to 1) put up money for three new programmers. They start tomorrow.
文斯: 或许不会。吉娜让“维康”出钱请了三个新的程序设计师。他们明天就开工。
Elvin: Are we just going to let her 2) hijack the company?
艾文: 我们就这样让她在公司夺权?
Vince: For now, Zina is calling the shots.
文斯: 目前是由吉娜来发号施令。
Elvin: I can't believe this is happening.
艾文: 我不相信有这种事。
Vince: Umm...You're still 3) dripping blood on my desk.
文斯: 嗯……你的血还在往我的桌上滴。
语言详解
A: Do you like rainy days?
你喜欢下雨天吗?
B: I like listening to the sound of dripping water.
我喜欢听水滴落的声音。
【pull the plug 撤资】
pull the plug的字面意义是“拔插头”,用在医院中就是指“拔除长期陷入昏迷的病患的维持生命系统”,以让他安乐死。 A: That car accident was terrible. Did Joe ever make it off life support? 那场车祸真是可怕。乔现在还要靠呼吸器维持生命吗? B: His injuries were too serious. His family decided to pull the plug. 他受的伤太重了。他的家人决定让他安乐死。 【Call the shots 发号施令】 开枪的时候,要有人喊口令,于是乎call the shots 就是指“发号施令”,以表示做决策以及作主控制的意思。 A: Josie is good at calling the shots. 乔西很会发号施令。 B: And that is why the company has been so successful. 所以这公司才会那么成功啊。 1) put up 提供金钱 2) hijack (v.) 劫持(车,船,飞机) 3) drip (v.) 滴落
- 上一篇
- 下一篇