和谐英语

地道美语听力练习:军事演习

2012-12-22来源:和谐英语

Tania: Did you see the news today? Canada has been doing military exercises near the Canada-U.S. border. I think they’re trying to send us a message.
塔尼亚:你有没有看到今天的新闻?加拿大一直在加美边境附近进行军事演习。我认为他们正在试图向我们发出信息。

Emilio: They’re just saber-rattling. They think we’re amassing weapons near the border and they’re posturing.
埃米利奥:他们只是炫耀武力罢了。他们认为我们在边境陈兵太多,因此他们需要做做样子。

Tania: I don’t think they’re just posturing.
塔尼亚:我不认为他们只是在故作姿态。

Emilio: Canada is no real threat. No one in the government wants to bear the responsibility of violating Canada’s treaty with us.
埃米利奥:加拿大没有现实的的威胁。加拿大政府中没有人愿意承担违反加拿大和我们国家之间的条约的责任。

Tania: How can you say that? All of this military aggression makes me nervous. If Canada decides to attack, we would have no choice but to retaliate. Things could escalate very quickly.
塔尼亚:你怎么能这样说呢?所有的这种军事侵略都让我感到紧张。如果加拿大决定攻击我们,我们将别无选择,只能采取报复行动。事情可能很快升级。

Emilio: That’s why I’m well prepared.
埃米利奥:这就是为什么我准备充分的原因。

Tania: Well prepared? How?
塔尼亚:准备充分?你怎么准备的?

Emilio: Haven’t you seen me building my underground bunker? I’ll be safe there if Canada, or anyone else, strikes.
埃米利奥:你有没有看到我在建设我的地下掩体?即使加拿大或其他任何国家发动攻击,我也会很安全。

Tania: An underground bunker?
塔尼亚:地下掩体?

Emilio: Yes, and if you ask nicely, I’ll save a place for you.
埃米利奥:是的,如果你恳求我的话,我会为你预备一个地方。