和谐英语

您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语口语 > 俚语俗语短语 > 英语俚语习语对话

正文

英语俚语习语小对话第24期: "不起眼的女孩"英语怎么说? (mp3和文本下载)

2017-04-11来源:和谐英语

习语:a plain Jane

讲解:Jane 在英文中是很常见的女名,所以,a plain Jane 表示“不起眼的女人。”

I cannot make it out why a handsome-looking man like him would fall in love with a plain Jane like Liu Lan.
真猜不透像他那样一个英俊的男子为何能爱上刘兰那样一个不起眼的女孩子呢?

The new receptionist is a bit of a plain Jane but she's very efficient at her job.
那位新来的接待员相貌一般,但她的工作效率很高。

He said that he wouldn't like to marry a plain Jane.
他说他可不想和一个不起眼的女孩子结婚。

I would rather marry a plain Jane who causes no trouble than a pretty face who may become a jailbait.
我宁愿和一个相貌平平但是安稳的女孩子结婚也不愿意娶个招灾惹祸的漂亮妞。

Mary certainly is a plain Jane, and yet she is quite popular.
玛丽实在其貌不扬,但是她很有名气。

英语情景对话:

A: I wonder how Sarah and Mat are.
我想知道莎拉和马特的情况怎么样了。

B: Don’t you know they've already broken up?
你不知道他们已经分手了吗?

A: I’m not surprised. She's a plain Jane.
我一点也不觉得奇怪,她是个不起眼的女孩。

B: And he's so handsome.
是呀,而他却那么英俊。

英语学习笔记:

break up:分手

What will happen to the children if Peter and Alice break up?
如果彼得和爱丽丝离婚孩子们将怎么办?

Why did you and Rohda break up?
你和罗达为什么决裂了?