和谐英语

您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语口语 > 俚语俗语短语 > 英语俚语习语对话

正文

英语俚语习语小对话第67期: "催促迫使"英语怎么说? (mp3和文本下载)

2017-04-15来源:和谐英语

build a fire under sb

讲解:build是动词,有“构成,形成,使成为”的意思,build fire就是“生火”的意思,build a fire under sb字面意思是“在某人的脚下点把火”,引申为“催促某人行动起来”。

支持范例:

Eg.The landlord built a fire under the poor peasants for the debt.
地主催促可怜的农民还债。

Eg.Don't build a fire under us for an answer to your request.
不要催促我答复你们的请求。

Eg.They are building a fire under them to take an action.
他们催促他采取行动。

Eg.The boss built a fire under his employee to make an explanation to it.
老板催促他的雇员对这件事做出解释。

英语情景对话:

A:Hurry up! Time is money!
快点!时间就是金钱。

B:Don't build a fire under me. I know the importance of time.
别催我,我知道时间的重要性。

A:But you are too slow to follow them.
但是你太慢了,跟不上他们。

B:Don't you see I'm trying my best?
你没看见我正在尽力吗?

英语学习笔记:

1.hurry up:赶快,快点

Eg.Hurry up, or we'll be too late to get anything to eat.
快走吧, 再晚了就吃不上饭了。

Eg.Hurry up or we will miss the train.
快点儿,不然我们就赶不上火车了。

Eg.Let' s hurry up so that we may finish the work in time.
咱们快一点,好及时完成任务。

Eg.We'll have to hurry up if we want to finish it today.
想今天完活,我们就得抓紧点儿了。

2.too... to...:太......而不能......

Eg.He is too young to bear the misery.
他年纪太小了不能承受这样的痛苦。

Eg.Mary is too stupid to get through the final exam.
Mary智力太差了,不能通过期末考试。

Eg.The manage is too busy to have a talk to you about your salary.
经理太忙了,没法和你谈你的薪水问题。

3.try one's best:尽力,努力

Eg.I try my best, but the coach finds fault with everything I do.
我已经尽力了,但是教练仍然百般对我做的每一件事挑剔。

Eg.I'll try my best to procure you that original French novel.
我将尽全力给你搞到那本原版法国小说。

Eg.We have been trying our best to come up with a solution.
我一直在竭力相处一个解决办法。