我们讲的英语第126期:Hold your horses 别着急;慢慢来
William: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is William Kremer.
威廉:大家好,欢迎收看地道英语节目。我是威廉·克莱默。
Li: And I'm Li. William, what's our phrase today?
李:我是李。威廉,我们今天讲什么短语?
William: Well, hold on a second Li, let me just play you -
威廉:李,稍等一下,让我给你播放……
Li: No, come on, tell me now–what phrase are we looking at today?
李:不,不,现在就告诉我,我们今天要讲什么短语?
William: Well, we'll come onto that in a minute but I've got some very special FX for you...
威廉:嗯,我们一会儿再说这个,现在我要给你放一些特殊音效……
Li: More special FX?! And special music? That's not what our people want! They want authentic English phrases, and they want them now! So what's our phrase today?
李:又是特殊音效?特殊音乐?那可不是我们的观众想要的!他们想要学真正的英语短语,他们现在就要学习!所以我们今天到底讲什么短语?
William: Li, hold your horses!
威廉:李,别着急!
Li: Eh?
李:什么?
William: Hold your horses. It means: be patient.
威廉:Hold your horses的意思就是耐心点。
Li: Oh... where does this phrase come from, William?
李:哦……那威廉,这个短语出自哪里?
William: Well, apparently it comes from battles in times of war:
威廉:嗯,显然是出自战争年代:
FX–Battle re-enactment noise
特殊音效——再现战争场面的声音
Man: Hold your horses men!
男:士兵们,勒住你们的马!
FX–gunfire, horses whinnying
特殊音效——炮火声,马的嘶鸣声
Li: Wow, Will, your FX this week are really special!
李:哇,威尔,你这周的特殊音效真的很特别!
William: Hmmm, I know! In that clip we heard a soldier telling his men to hold their horses before he started firing weapons.
威廉:嗯,我知道!刚刚那段剪辑我们听到了一名士兵跟战友说在开火之前要勒住马,沉住气。
Li: But nowadays, I am guessing, you don't need to be a soldier to use this phrase, right?
李:但是现在,我想,不一定是士兵才使用这个短语,对吧?
William: Exactly, yes. It means: don't rush, be patient. Let's hear a couple of examples:
威廉:没错。这个短语的意思是:别着急,耐心点。我们再来听几个例子:
Man: I've just gone online to order us some new computers. What's our charge code again?
男:我刚刚在网上订了一些新电脑。我们的支付密码是什么来着?
Woman: Ah, well you're going to have to hold your horses! I haven't agreed a budget yet with the management team.
女:啊,先别着急。我和管理团队还没同意预算呢。
BBC Learning English
这里是BBC英语学习节目
Man 2: I've just spoken to Mark–
男2:我刚刚和马克谈话了……
Woman 2: Have you indeed? Well don't listen to a word that man says! He's never liked me...
女2:你真的这么做了?那个人说的话一句都不要听!他从来没喜欢过我……
Man 2: Hey, hey hey! Hold your horses. We didn't discuss you at all, as a matter of fact.
男2:嘿,嘿,嘿!别着急。实际上,我们根本就没有谈到你的事。
Li: So in that first example, the man couldn't order his computers yet because the company hadn't agreed a budget. He had to wait; he had to hold his horses.
李:在第一个例子里,男子目前还不能订购电脑,因为公司还没有同意这项预算。他必须要等;他必须要有耐心。
William: Hmm. And in the second example it was slightly different. In that clip we heard a woman interrupt the man because she thought she knew what he was going to say.
威廉:嗯。而第二个例子则有些不同。我们刚刚听到那名女子打断了男子的话,是因为她认为她知道他要说什么。
Li: Ah yes, the man told her to hold her horse and wait for him to finish speaking.
李:对,男子告诉她不要着急,先等他把话说完。
William: Ah, yeah, but Li we never say "Hold your horse" we always say "Hold your horses".
威廉:对,但是李,我们从来不说Hold your horse,我们一般说Hold your horses。
Li: Oh OK, I'll bear it in mind. But, er, Will...?
李:哦,好的,我会记住的。但是,威尔……?
William: Yeah?
威廉:什么?
Li: Can you hold this for me please?
李:你能帮我拿下这个吗?
Horse whinnying
马的嘶鸣声
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移