我们讲的英语第135期:To blow your own trumpet 自我炫耀

William: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is William Kremer.         
威廉:大家好,欢迎收听地道英语节目。我是威廉·克莱默。         
Helen: And I'm Helen.         
海伦:我是海伦。         
William: I've got something for you, Helen.         
威廉:海伦,我有东西要给你听。         
Burst of loud classical music (Beethoven's '5th Symphony')         
突然传来古典音乐的声音(贝多芬的《第五交响曲》)         
Helen: It's nice to have a bit of music William, but why...         
海伦:威廉,来点音乐是不错,可是为什么……         
Burst of different classical music (Mendelssohn's 'Dance of the Clowns')         
突然换成另一首古典音乐(门德尔松的《贝加莫舞曲》)         
William: What do you think... nice music, huh?         
威廉:你觉得怎么样,音乐很不错,对吧?         
Helen: Well, it's certainly dramatic! So are we having a special musical edition today, William?         
海伦:嗯,当然是激动人心了!所以我们今天是要进行音乐特辑吗,威廉?         
William: Well, yes we are Helen. The BBC Proms start this Friday, remember?         
威廉:嗯,是的,海伦。英国广播公司逍遥音乐节从周五开始,你还记得吧?         
Helen: Ah, of course. The BBC Proms is a huge classical music festival that the BBC sponsors. It's over 100 years old.         
海伦:当然记得。英国广播公司逍遥音乐节是英国广播公司赞助的大型古典音乐节。这个音乐节已经有100多年的历史了。         
William: Yes and every day for the next two months hundreds of music fans will queue to get their hands on a £5 ticket.         
威廉:对,未来两个月的每一天都会有数百名音乐爱好者排队购买门票,门票价格是每张5英镑。         
Helen: Wow. Are you going to go?         
海伦:哇。你打算去吗?         
William: No, I hate queuing! But anyway, I thought we could have a music-themed programme. And our phrase this week relates to one instrument in particular...         
威廉:不,我讨厌排队!不过不管怎样,我想我们可以做期音乐主题节目。而本周我们要讲的词组就和一个乐器有关……         
Trumpet music solo         
小号独奏         
Helen: The trumpet?         
海伦:是小号吗?         
William: Yes, do you know what it means to say someone 'blows his own trumpet'?         
威廉:对,你知道blows his own trumpet是什么意思吗?         
Helen: Yes. It means that someone is talking too much about his achievements, right?         
海伦:知道。意思是某人过分地炫耀自己的成就,对吧?         
William: Exactly. Let's listen to an example.         
威廉:没错。我们来听一个例子。         
Woman: Who's going to be there tonight?         
女:今晚都谁参加?         
Man: I think Angela and Mark and that guy Martin...         
男:我想安吉拉、马克还有马丁……         
Woman: Oh no, not Martin! He's such a bore. He's always blowing his own trumpet. Last time I saw him he went on and on about how he had been promoted twice in six weeks.         
女:哦,不,马丁不行!他太烦人了,他总是自我吹嘘。我上次见到他的时候,他一直在不停地说他在六周内被提升两次的事情。         
Helen: So this is quite a negative phrase then?         
海伦:那这是一个贬义词组?         
William: Yes, sometimes. But interestingly, it isn't always used in a negative way. Listen to this example. A woman is talking to her niece.         
威廉:对,有时是。不过有意思地是,这个词组并不总是用于贬义。来听这个例子。一个女人正在和她的侄女谈话。         
Woman: I didn't know you'd come top in the class again! Why didn't you tell me? You really must start blowing your own trumpet a bit more!         
女:我不知道你又考了全班第一!你为什么没告诉我?你真的需要多炫耀一下自己!         
Helen: So in that clip, the woman was telling her niece she ought to blow her own trumpet more?         
海伦:在这个例子中,这名女性告诉她侄女应该多炫耀一下自己?         
William: Yes. And English people sometimes use this phrase because they are embarrassed to talk about their achievements. Listen to this clip:         
威廉:对。英国人在不好意思谈论自己的成就时也会用这个词组。来听这个例子:         
Man: How's it going at your work nowadays?         
男:你最近工作怎么样?         
Woman: Well, at the risk of blowing my own trumpet, it's going very well. In fact, I've just won an award!         
女:嗯,可能听上去像是自我炫耀,不过进展非常顺利。实际上,我刚刚得了奖!         
Helen: She said "At the risk of blowing my own trumpet".         
海伦:她说“可能听上去像是自我炫耀”。         
William: Yeah, so that's like saying "Excuse me while I talk about my achievements"!         
威廉:对,意思就是“不好意思,我要谈谈我的成就”!         
Helen: Well, I wonder whether we should blow our own trumpet a bit more. I mean here we are with a really popular website, bbclearningenglish.com...         
海伦:嗯,我想知道我们是否应该多炫耀一下自己。我的意思是,我们在一个非常受欢迎的网站工作,那就是bbclearningenglish.com……         
William: ...yeah, making lots of little programmes that are entertaining, fascinating, useful...         
威廉:……对,我们制作了大量有趣、引人入胜又有用的小节目……         
Helen: …and best of all, it's all free! Brilliant, huh?         
海伦:最棒的是,所有节目都是免费的!非常精彩,不是吗?         
William: Yeah, that's brilliant! But maybe we should stop blowing our own trumpet now! Shall we have some more of that nice music again to finish off?         
威廉:对,非常精彩!不过也许我们现在该停止自我吹嘘了!我们再来点精彩的音乐来结束节目怎么样?         
Helen: Oh yes! Bye!         
海伦:好的!再见!         
William: Bye!         
威廉:再见!
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移
 
       
               
               
             手机网站
手机网站