我们讲的英语第136期:To nip something in the bud 防患于未然
Helen: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Helen.
海伦:大家好,欢迎收听地道英语节目。我是海伦。
William: Hi, I'm William. Today Hampton Court Palace Flower Show is opening.
威廉:大家好,我是威廉。今天汉普顿宫廷花卉展开幕了。
Music, birdsong
音乐声,鸟鸣声
Helen: Oh, Hampton Court Palace Flower Show–the world's largest flower show! I've seen it on the news before. If only I had a garden!
海伦:哦,汉普顿宫廷花卉展,这可是世界上最大的花卉展览!我之前在新闻上看到过。我要是有个花园就好了!
William: Ah yes, you live in an apartment, don't you Helen?
威廉:是啊,海伦,你住在公寓里,是吧?
Helen: Yeah. So William, let me guess, today we are going to do a phrase relating to flowers and gardening?
海伦:对。威廉,让我来猜猜看,今天我们要学习和花朵还有园艺有关的词组吗?
William: Exactly.
威廉:完全正确。
Helen: So...? What's the phrase?
海伦:那……?是什么词组呢?
William: Er... Well, how about... how about... er. No, it's gone. It's no good. I can't think of a phrase right now.
威廉:额……嗯,这个……那个……嗯。不行,不好。我现在想不出来。
Helen: Oh well. Let's just have a chat instead. I'm tired of learning new phrases anyway.
海伦:好吧。那我们就用聊天代替好了。不管怎样我已经厌倦总是学习新词组了。
William: OK. Well, how are you Helen? How are the kids?
威廉:好吧。海伦,你怎么样?孩子们怎么样?
Helen: Oh they are both really well. My little boy eats too much chocolate though!
海伦:哦,他们都非常好。不过我的小儿子吃的巧克力太多了!
William: Oh really? Well, you want to nip that in the bud.
威廉:哦,真的吗?嗯,你要防患于未然。
Helen: Eh? Nip it in the bud?
海伦:什么?Nip it in the bud?
William: Nip it in the bud. If you nip something in the bud, you stop it before it becomes a problem. Listen to this example from a business context:
威廉:对,防患于未然。这个意思是你要在发生问题前阻止这件事。来听一个来自业务环境的例子。
Man: The last few deliveries we've had from this company have all had broken parts in them.
男:最近这家公司给我们发的货几乎都有破损。
Woman: Well, we need to nip that in the bud. Tell them that unless their service improves, we're going to look for another supplier.
女:嗯,我们需要防患于未然。告诉他们,如果他们的服务质量还不改善的话,我们会另找供应商。
Helen: So in that example, the man was complaining about poor service from a supplier. The woman wanted to nip it in the bud.
海伦:在这个例子中,男子在抱怨供应商的糟糕服务。而那名女子则希望防患于未然。
William: That's right. She wanted to take steps to improve the service before it got even worse.
威廉:没错。她希望在问题更严重前采取措施改善服务。
Helen: So where does this phrase come from William–to nip something in the bud?
海伦:那威廉,这个短语来自哪里呢?
Birdsong and music
鸟鸣声和音乐声
William: Well, it comes from gardening, actually. A bud is the part of a plant that becomes a flower, a leaf or stem. If you nip something in the bud, you cut the bud off the plant before it has time to grow.
威廉:嗯,实际上是来自园艺。植物的蓓蕾会生长成花朵、叶子或是花茎。而这个短语就是指你在植物成熟前把蓓蕾剪掉了。
Helen: Oh. That's not very nice.
海伦:哦,那不是很好。
William: Well, gardening is a tough game, Helen. You have to nip things in the bud sometimes. You also have to kill slugs and snails.
威廉:嗯,海伦,园艺是件很难做的事。有时你必须要剪掉蓓蕾。你还必须要消灭蛞蝓和蜗牛。
Helen: Eugh! I'm glad I don't have a garden.
海伦:啊!我真庆幸我没有花园。
William: Bye!
威廉:再见!
Helen: Bye!
海伦:再见!
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移