我们讲的英语第150期:Sick 很酷的
William: Hello and welcome to the English We Speak, I'm William Kremer.
威廉:大家好,欢迎收听地道英语节目,我是威廉·克莱默。
Yang Li: And I'm Yang Li.
杨莉:我是杨莉。
William: Li, are you wearing make-up?
威廉:莉,你化妆了吗?
Yang Li: Yes, do you like it? It's not too much?
杨莉:是啊,你喜欢吗?不会太浓吧?
William: I think you look sick.
威廉:我觉得你看起来很酷。
Yang Li: What?
杨莉:什么?
William: Sick!
威廉:很酷!
Yang Li: But I feel fine. I'm perfectly healthy.
杨莉:可是我感觉很好。我非常健康。
William: No, you don't look ill Li, you look sick!
威廉:不,莉,你看上去并不像生病,你看起来很酷!
Yang Li: Sorry I just don't get it. I'm not ill!
杨莉:抱歉,我没明白。我没有生病!
William: Sorry Li, I should explain. It's our expression for the day. Lots of young people in the UK use the word sick to mean cool or great.
威廉:很抱歉,莉,我来解释一下。这是我们今天要学的表达方式。英国有许多年轻人用sick这个词来表达酷或是很棒的意思。
Yang Li: English can be weird can't it? Sick means cool?
杨莉:英语很奇怪,不是吗?sick竟然有酷的意思!
William: Yes, it is a bit odd. I know one teacher who was confused by this word when his student used it in a class.
威廉:对,是有点奇怪。我知道有一个老师,他的学生在课堂上使用这个词的时候他非常困惑。
Yang Li: Really? What did they say?
杨莉:真的吗?他们是怎么说的?
William: Something like this:
威廉:就像这样:
Student: Mr Griffiths!
学生:格里菲斯先生!
Teacher: Yes?
老师:什么事?
Student: Sir, are you wearing new shoes?
学生:先生,您穿了新鞋吗?
Teacher: Yes, I am. Why?
老师:是啊。怎么了?
Student: Because they are sick!
学生:它们好酷啊!
Teacher: Sick?
老师:糟糕?
Student: Totally sick, sir.
学生:先生,非常酷。
Teacher: Well, young man. As you find them so terrible, how about you give me 100 lines saying… saying…
老师:嗯,年轻人。既然你觉得它们很糟糕,那你给我抄写一百遍怎么样……
Student: No, no, I like them! Sick means cool!
学生:不,不是,我很喜欢这双鞋!sick的意思是很酷!
Teacher: First I've heard of it.
老师:我是第一次听到这种说法。
Yang Li: Lines. Lines are a form of punishment which teachers used to give students–copying out the same sentence again and again. You never had to write lines, did you William?
杨莉:罚抄。罚抄是老师用来惩罚学生的一种方法,让学生一遍又一遍地抄写同一个句子。威廉,你从来没被罚抄过,是吧?
William: Erm... Maybe I won't go into that here!
威廉:额……在这里我就不多说了。
Yang Li: So anyway, what do I say if I really am sick?
杨莉:不管怎么样,要是我想说我病了要怎么说呢?
William: I'm feeling sick. Or I'm feeling ill.
威廉:我感觉不舒服。或者说我感觉好像生病了。
Yang Li: So we can work it out from the context.
杨莉:所以我们可以通过上下文进行理解。
William: Exactly, that's it. Anyway, like I was saying I love the make-up Li. But maybe next time don't wear green eye-shadow.
威廉:没错。就是这样。不管怎样,就像我刚刚说的,莉,我喜欢你今天的化妆。不过下次不要画绿色眼影了。
Yang Li: Why?
杨莉:为什么?
William: It makes you look, erm sick.
威廉:那让你看上去像生病了。
Yang Li: Oh, I give up. Bye.
杨莉:哦,我放弃了。再见。
William: Bye.
威廉:再见。
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移