我们讲的英语第191期:Butter up 阿谀奉承
重点讲解:
1.bump into
偶然遇见;意外碰到;
eg. Just last night I ran into two friends, Ken and Barbara, at a restaurant.
就在昨晚,我在餐厅里巧遇两位朋友阿肯和芭芭拉。
eg. You have to be sensible especially when you bump into difficulties.
你必须理智点,尤其是当你遇到麻烦的时候。
2. butter up
奉承;巴结;讨好;
eg. The bank has to butter up investors because it is in a fiercely competitive market.
由于市场竞争激烈,银行不得不去讨好投资者。
eg. I tried buttering her up. 'I've always admired people with these sorts of talents.'
我拼命奉承她:“我一直钦佩有如此才能的人。”
3. in the hope
怀着(…发生的)希望;
eg. We will be analysing all the things she has told us in the hope that we can locate the person responsible.
我们将分析她告诉我们的所有事情,希望能找出罪魁祸首。
eg. I went there in the hope that I might see her.
我抱着或许可以看到她的希望而到那里。
4. in return
作为回报;作为交换;
eg. He was always ready to help others, in return, he was liked by everyone.
他总是乐于助人,作为回报,大家都喜欢他。
eg. These are gestures of genuine friendship with no favours expected in return.
这是友谊的真正表现,不期待任何回报。
5. be impressed with
留下深刻印象;印象不错;
eg. We were deeply impressed with this sight.
这风景给我们留下了深刻的印象。
eg. I was impressed with his deep sincerity.
他的无比真诚让我印象深刻。
6. in a jam
陷入困境;
eg. They were in a real jam, Bob thought glumly.
他们确实遇上麻烦了,鲍勃闷闷不乐地想。
eg. Because I lost my money I was in a jam.
我因为丢了钱而陷入困境。
相关文章
- 我们讲的英语第275期:To fall at the first hurdle 倒在第一关
- 我们讲的英语第274期:Pain in the neck 令人讨厌的人或事
- 我们讲的英语第273期:Burn a hole in your pocket 花钱如流水
- 我们讲的英语第272期:To turn something upside down 把……翻个底朝天
- 我们讲的英语第271期:Going forward 从今以后
- 我们讲的英语第270期:A recipe for disaster 后患无穷
- 我们讲的英语第269期:Crash course 速成班
- 我们讲的英语第268期:You've sold it to me 你说服我了
- 我们讲的英语第267期:Full of the joys of spring 非常高兴
- 我们讲的英语第266期:A leopard can't change its spots 江山易改本性难移