和谐英语

您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语口语 > 英语情景对话 > 英语畅谈世界文化

正文

英语口语畅谈世界文化之意大利52:St.Peter’s圣彼得大教堂mp3

2017-07-02来源:和谐英语



英语口语畅谈世界文化

之意大利

52 St.Peter's 圣彼得大教堂

Fl :  Friend l       F2 :  Friend 2
F1:朋友l          F2:朋友2

F1: What have you got planned for the winter holidays?
Fl:寒假你有什么计划呢? 

F2: Actually, I'm off to Italy.
F2:说实话,我准备去意大利。 

Fl: Really? I went there in 2001, will you go to the Vatican?
F1:真的吗?2001年我去过那儿,你打算去梵蒂冈吗?

F2: I plan to, I think it's something that you cannot miss. It's funny, but everyone thinks. The Vatican is an ancient place, but in fact it dates back t0 1929.
F2:我打算去,我想那里还真不能错过。有趣的是,人人都以为梵蒂冈是个古老的地方,但实际上它的历史只能追溯到1929年。

Fl: Yes, when Mussolini and the Pope signed the Lateran Treaty. Also, it's the world's largest church.
Fl:是的,它足墨索里尼和罗马教皇签署了《拉特兰教堂条约》后才建立的,它有世界上最大的教堂。

F2: Isn't there a special place where the Pope appears, too?
F2:那里是木是还有个教皇公开露面的特别地方?

F1: Yes, there's a balcony which he comes out on, but only on speall occasions.
F1:是的,是有一个教皇出来露面的阳台,但只是在一些特殊的场合用。

F2: What about St. Peter's? Is it as fabulous as they say?
F2:那圣彼得教堂呢?是不是跟人们所说的一样神奇啊?

Fl: To be honest, it doesn't look like much from the outside, you don't appreciate its true beauty and enormity until you are inside.
Fl:坦白地说,从外面看不出什么,直到进入里面才能欣赏到它真正的美丽和宏伟之处。

F2 : It really is huge, then?
F2:它真的很大,是吧?

Fl: Oh my goodness! Not just huge, sensational! When you step inside you just cannot believe it, I was lost for words.
Fl:哦,它不是一般地大,简直让人惊叹!你走进去时,简直没法相信,我都无法用言语表达。

F2 : It sounds like you had a real religious experience there.
F2:听起来好像你在那儿真的对宗教有不少体验。

F1: Oh yes, I believe that even someone without faith couldn't fail to be touched by something higher while inside St. Peter's.
F1:是的。我相信进了圣彼得教堂,没有人不会被它里面恢宏的气势所触动,哪怕是不信教的人。

F2:How big is it really? I read that the pillars inside are fifty feet across, that can't be true, can it?
F2:它到底有多大呢?我从书上看到说里面的柱子直径有50英尺,那不可能是真的,对吧?

F1:Honestly, just wait until you are inside.  The pillars are massive, and even if there are hundreds of tourists, you never feel cramped. The atmosphere is always so light and airy.
F1:真的,等你走到里头再看吧。柱子相当高大,即使里面有几百个游客,你也不会觉得拥挤。里面的气氛也总是很轻松.快活。

F2:Also, I read that the baldacchino is pretty big, too.
F2:而且我听说青铜祭台大华盖也很宏伟。

F1: Pretty big! It's more than half the size of Niagara Falls! While you are there, you cannot forget to visit the Sistine Chapel, which is very impressive
Fl:相当大,比尼亚加拉瀑布的一半还要大。你到了那儿时,别忘了去参观一下西斯廷教堂,那也会给你留下很深刻的印象。

F2:I'm guessing nothing is as impressive as St. Peter's, I can't wait to see it.
F2:我想没什么能比得上圣彼得大教堂给人的印像更深,我都等不及想去看了。

单词词组】
you cannot miss你不能错过   
date back to追翻到   
on special occasion在特殊场合
It doesn’t look like much from the outside.从外面看没什么。
be lost for words无法用言语表达

【背景介绍】
圣彼得大教堂,(Basilica di San Pietro in Vaticano),又译为梵蒂冈圣伯铎大殿,是罗马基督教的中心教堂,教堂最初是由君士坦丁大帝在圣彼得墓地上修建的,于西元326年落成。圣彼得大教堂是欧洲天主教徒的朝圣地与梵蒂冈罗马教皇的教廷,是全世界第一大教堂。 16世纪教皇朱利奥二世决定重建圣彼得天独厚教堂,并于1506年破土动工。在长达120年的重建过程中,直到1626年11月18日才正式宣告落成。