李阳疯狂英语脱口而出MP3实战篇之疯狂准备篇 第八节:成语的挑战
【财富大检阅】
第一笔财富:
slip one’s mind: escape one’s memory; someone forgets something 使某人一时想不起来;忘记某事
【Kim’s Note】 This is a softer way of saying, “I forgot”. For some reason, people are more accepting of this excuse than they are of simply saying “I forgot.”
* I meant to call you when I got to Beijing but I was so busy it slipped my mind.
(我本来是打算到北京就给你打电话的,但是我太忙了,所以就忘了。)
* Sometimes his own telephone number would slip his mind.
(有时候他会把自己的电话号码给忘记。)
* My aunt asked me to take care of her dog today while she’s out. But it totally slipped my mind.
(阿姨叫我在她外出时照看一下她的狗,可我把它给忘得一干二净了。)
* It had slipped my mind that you were arriving today.
(我把你今天抵达的事忘记了。)
第二笔财富:
(something) come to someone: (something) occur to someone / strike someone 某人想起某事;(思想意识等)到某人脑子里
* Her name finally came to him.
(他终于记起了她的姓名。)
* The idea just came to me.
(我刚刚想出这主意。)
* I’m trying to remember the address of the hotel, but it just won’t come to me.
(我努力回想宾馆地址,但就是想不起来。)
第三笔财富:
go on / run errands: go on a short trip in order to do something for someone or deliver a message 跑腿;为某人办事;出差
* I have a lot of errands to run this morning for my boss.
(今天早上老板交给我好多跑腿的事。)
* It’s the children’s job to run errands for the parents.
(为父母跑跑腿是孩子们应该做的事情。)
* He was tired of running errands for his sister.
(他已厌烦给姐姐当跑脚了。)
第四笔财富:
in the nick of time: just in time; at the necessary moment 恰好;正是时候
* The fight was getting out of control. It was lucky the police arrived in the nick of time.
(斗殴失去了控制,幸好这时候警察来了。)
* They arrived in the nick of time to save us.
(在紧要关头他们正好赶到来救我们。)
* You got here in the nick of time – the train’s just leaving.
(你来得真是时候 —— 火车正要开。)
第五笔财富:
rule of thumb: a way learned by practical experience; a quick and not very exact way of doing
something 单靠经验或实践得来的方法;粗略而简便的方法
* I never measure rice and water when I’m cooking – I just do it by rule of thumb.
(我做饭时,从不量米量水,只凭经验。)
* We don’t have a written policy on dating in the office but I’ve learned from rule of thumb that it’s a bad idea.
(对于办公室恋情我们没有明文规定,但是我凭经验就知道那不是什么好事。)
* As a rule of thumb, you should cook a chicken for 20 minutes for each pound that it weighs.
(凭经验估计,每磅鸡肉应烹调20分钟。)
第六笔财富:
on the safe side: take a precaution in order to avoid a risk or loss; just to be sure 为了稳妥起见;以防万一;安全地
* Take some extra money with you just to be on the safe side.
(以防万一,你还是多带点钱在身上。)
* I always carry some medicine with me whenever I’m traveling, just to be on the safe side.
(旅行时,我总是随身带着药,以防万一。)
* You’d better make a copy of your Identity Card, just to be on the safe side.
(你最好把身份证复印一份,以防万一。)
* Although the sun was shining the other day, my father took the umbrella with him to be on the safe side.
(虽然那天阳光明媚,我父亲还是带上了雨伞以防不测。)
第七笔财富:
clue someone in: give someone necessary infomp3ation for understanding something or finding an answer 向某人提供必要的情况;使他对此情况有所了解
* I just don’t understand what’s going on and I don’t want to just wait around for someone to clue me in!
(我不明白出现了什么情况,我不想就这样傻等着谁来告诉我。)
* I’m a newcomer here. I would really appreciate it if you could clue me in on the library of the school.
(我新来乍到,如果你能给我介绍一下学校的图书馆,我将不胜感激。)
* Since I missed the last meeting, I would like to have you clue me in on what happened.
(我错过了上次的会议,请你给我介绍一下上次谈判的情况。)
* He will clue you in about this.
(关于这件事,他会给你提供情况的。)
第八笔财富:
kill two birds with one stone: do two things at the same time 一箭双雕;一举两得
* If you are going to America on a business trip next week, you could kill two birds with one stone and
do your Christmas shopping at the same time.
(如果你下星期去伦敦出差,你可以一举两得,同时在那儿购买圣诞礼物。)
* I always get my nails manicured while I get my hair cut, that way I can kill two birds with one stone.
(每次我去剪头发的时候都会修指甲,这样我可以一举两得。)
【疯狂实战】
A: Since you’re going to pick up Nancy from the fitness class, why don’t you kill two birds with one stone and pick up Jane after her ballet class?
(你既然去健身班接南茜,那你顺便把上完芭蕾舞课的珍尼接回来好吗?)
B: OK, no problem.
(可以,没问题。)
相关文章
- 李阳疯狂英语脱口而出MP3实战篇之疯狂准备篇 第五节:语法大战--在短文中操练语法
- 李阳疯狂英语脱口而出MP3实战篇之疯狂准备篇 第六节:三最短文
- 李阳疯狂英语脱口而出MP3实战篇之疯狂买弄篇 第一节:生的自我介绍
- 李阳疯狂英语脱口而出MP3实战篇之疯狂买弄篇 第二节:魅力来自于幽默
- 李阳疯狂英语脱口而出MP3实战篇之疯狂买弄篇 第四节:形容词大战
- 李阳疯狂英语脱口而出MP3实战篇之疯狂买弄篇 第三节:神奇的中文成语
- 李阳疯狂英语脱口而出MP3实战篇之疯狂实战篇 第二节:广告配音员的梦想
- 李阳疯狂英语脱口而出MP3实战篇之疯狂实战篇 第一节:播音员挑战
- 李阳疯狂英语脱口而出MP3实战篇之疯狂实战篇 第三节:成功的翻译必备
- 李阳疯狂英语脱口而出MP3实战篇之疯狂实战篇 第五节:演讲家的风采