商务英语:守时 Business English: Punctuality
2016-07-05来源:和谐英语
Update Required
To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin.
大家好,我是Feifei,欢迎来到新一期BBC6分钟英语。
Hi, I’m Neil.
大家好,我是Neil。
Oh, here you are Neil, I was just about to start without you.
Oh,你来了Neil,我正打算自己开始了。
No need, no need, I’m never late for anything, you know that! Punctuality is my middle name.
没必要,没必要,你知道的我从不迟到!守时就是我的名字。
Punctuality meaning: being on time for things.
守时的意思是:准时做事。
Yes, punctuality means not being late. It’s very important in Western working culture. Are you a punctual person Feifei?
是的,守时的意思是不迟到。在西方工作环境里守时是十分重要的。你是一个守时的人吗,Feifei?
I’m always punctual in my working life, but in my personal life…
工作的时候我一直是很守时的,但是在生活中...
OK, I don’t want to know. That’s interesting Feifei because the psychiatrist Dr Keith Ablow, says the three most common causes for lateness are: firstly, worrying about the appointment, secondly, a need to show power or superiority, and the third reason for people being late is that they have a need to know they are loved. So Feifei, which one is you? Sounds like you are a mixture of all of them…
OK,我不想知道。这是很有趣的,Feifei,精神病医生Keith Ablow认为,迟到三个最常见的原因是:首先,担心这个约会;第二,需要显示权威或优势;第三个人们迟到的原因是他们需要知道他们是被爱的。所以,Feifei,哪一个符合你?看起来你就是他们几个的混合体。
No comment - let’s move on.
唔作评论--让我们继续。
Let’s hear what some of our friends and colleagues have to say about punctuality.
让我们来听听我们的朋友和同事们关于守时会说些什么。
I think living in London, you find the most common reason for being late is transport because it’s not very reliable - whenever you are rushing somewhere, you think you are OK with time, but suddenly your train is delayed: if you have to change to another train, you might miss that train and it’s going to make you be even later than you intended to be.
我认为住在伦敦,你会发现迟到的最常见的原因是交通,因为它不是很可靠---不论何时你要奔去某地,你认为时间上赶得及,但是突然火车推后了:如果你要换乘到别的火车,你可能赶不上这样会让你比计划赶到的时间更靠后。
Well that’s very interesting. Generally speaking, if you’re going to be late for something, it’s polite to call and let people know.
嗯这是很有趣的。通常来讲,如果你觉得会迟到了,打个电话让大家知道是有礼貌的。
It is. And here’s a clip of someone doing just that.
是的。这里有一段剪辑,里面的人就是这么做的。
Joe Smith speaking.
我是Joe Smith。
Hi Joe, it’s Sarah. I’m on my way to the meeting but I’m afraid the traffic’s terrible.I’m sorry but I think I’m going to be late.
你好Joe,我是 Sarah。我正在去往开会的路上但是我交通很不给力。很抱歉我想我可能要迟到了。
OK, don’t worry. What time do you think you’ll get there?
好的,别担心,你觉得你能什么时候到?
To be honest, it’s hard to say. I’ve been here for 30 minutes and the traffic is at a standstill.I think I’ll be about 15 minutes late.
坦白讲,很难说。我在这已经30分钟了,但是交通依然停滞。我想十五分钟后到吧。
OK, thanks for letting me know. If you’re going to be any later, call me again.
好的,谢谢让我知道。如果到时你还不能到再给我打电话。
OK, will do. Sorry again. See you soon.
OK,我会的。再次抱歉。一会儿见。
So, that was Sarah calling to say she’s going to be late and if I’m not mistaken -
这就是Sarah 打电话说她要迟到了,如果我没弄错的话--
It’s Business Betty!!
是 Business Betty!!
Hello! I’m not late am I?
你好!我没迟到吧,是吗?
Not at all, and I wouldn’t care if you were.
一点都没,如果你迟到了我也不会介意。
Thank you Neil.
谢谢你Neil。
You’re just in time to tell us how to say you’re going to be late for something.
你来的正好,告诉我们如果要迟到了该怎么说。
Oh that’s good, I hate being late for things. Right - so to business. Now, in the English speaking world, if you are going to be late for an appointment, you should let people know. There are three things you need to do here.First, apologise. Second, explain why you’re late. And third, say when you think you’ll arrive.So, first: apologise. Here’s what Sarah said:
很好,我很讨厌迟到。是的,对于工作也是。现在在说英语的国家,如果你约会要迟到了,你应该让别人知道。在这儿你需要做三件事。首先,道歉。其次,解释你为什么迟到。第三,讲清你什么时候会到。所以,首先:道歉。Sarah 是这么说的:
I’m sorry but I think I’m going to be late.
很抱歉,我想我要迟到了。
"I’m sorry but I think I’m going to be late" - nice and simple. She apologised again at the end of the conversation.
“很抱歉,我想我要迟到了”-简洁又漂亮。在谈话结束前她再一次道歉。
Sorry again.
再一次抱歉。
Second, explain why you’re late. Sarah said:
其次,解释你为什么迟到。Sarah说:
I’m on my way to the meeting but I’m afraid the traffic’s terrible.I’ve been here for 30 minutes and the traffic is at a standstill.
我在去开会的路上,但是交通很不给力。我在这已经有30分钟了,交通依然停滞。
Let’s hear that again.
让我们再听一遍。
I’m on my way to the meeting but I’m afraid the traffic’s terrible.I’ve been here for 30 minutes and the traffic is at a standstill.
我在去开会的路上,但是交通很不给力。我在这已经有30分钟了,交通依然停滞。
And third, say when you think you’ll arrive.
再次,讲清楚你什么时候会到。
I think I’ll be about 15 minutes late.
我觉得我十五分钟后能到。
And again:
再说一次:
I think I’ll be about 15 minutes late.
我觉得我十五分钟后能到。
And then, stop worrying! When you finally get to your meeting, don’t go rushing straight in. Take a couple of minutes first, to calm down and freshen up, so that you appear professional, not panicky.A quick apology when you arrive – "Sorry I’m late everyone" and then it’s down to business. So, I hope that’s helpful…
然后,别担心 !当你终于到达会议地点时不要直接冲进去。首先花几分钟平复下情绪,梳洗一番,这样你看起来专业而不是恐慌。到的时候做个简短的道歉-“抱歉了大家,我迟到了”然后开始工作。我希望能有帮助...
Very very helpful!
非常非常有用!
Yes, thanks Betty!
是的,谢谢Betty!
Good, because I have to go now, I’ve got a meeting and I don’t want to be late. Bye!
很好,我要走了,我还有个会,不想迟到。再见了!
Bye
拜~~
She’s very good…
她非常厉害...
Shall we listen to the clip again?
让我们再听一遍剪辑吧?
I think we should…
我认为我们应该...
Joe Smith speaking.
我是Joe Smith 。
Hi Joe, it’s Sarah. I’m on my way to the meeting but I’m afraid the traffic’s terrible. I’m sorry but I think I’m going to be late.
你好,Joe,我是 Sarah。我在去往开会的路上,但是交通很不给力。很抱歉,恐怕我要迟到了。
OK, don’t worry. What time do you think you’ll get there?
OK,别担心。你觉得你什么时候能到?
To be honest, it’s hard to say. I’ve been here for 30 minutes and the traffic is at a standstill. I think I’ll be about 15 minutes late.
老实说,这很难讲。我在这已经30分钟了,交通一直停滞。我觉得15分钟能到。
OK, thanks for letting me know. If you’re going to be any later call me again.
OK,谢谢让我知道。如果到时你还不能到再给我打电话。
OK, will do. Sorry again. See you soon.
ok,我会的。再次抱歉了。一会儿见。
So that’s what to do if you’re running late.
这就是如果迟到,你该怎么办。
Yes, so next time Feifei, can you set off a bit earlier? I don’t want to hang around.
好的,下次Feifei,你可以早点出发吗?我不想闲逛。
Yes set off earlier, you Neil.
是的,你早点出发,Neil。
Well, you don’t want to talk about your personal life, do you?
你不想谈谈你的私生活吗?
You were the one that was late for the programme.
你才是这个节目迟到的人。
Yes, but generally speaking, it’s you, isn’t it? Anyway, make sure you join us for the next episode of 6 Minute English.
是的,但是一般来说是你吧,不是吗?不管怎样,记得一定要加入我们下一期的BBC6分钟英语。
And DON’T be late! Bye!
记住“不要迟到哦”!拜~
相关文章
- 年轻有为Young and in business
- 商务英语:社会交际 Business English: Socialising
- 商务英语:工作中使用IT技术 Business English: Using technology at work
- 商务英语:销售那些事 Business English: Describing sales
- 商务英语:询问个人问题 Business English: Asking personal questions
- 商务英语:规则 Business English: Rules
- 商务英语:安排会议 Business English: Arranging meetings
- 商务英语:客户投诉 Business English: Customer complaints