和谐英语

VOA常速英语:Using Baking as a Coping Mechanism

2020-05-07来源:和谐英语
When I lost that main structure of going to school of being in a physical environment
当我离开了学校这个环境,
I kind of ended up falling back on baking as this thing that brings me comfort.
最后,我又开始了烘焙,因为这件事给我带来了安慰。
For the better part of her life Chloe Tom Sue has staved off clinical depression and anxiety with social activities.
克洛伊·汤姆·苏的大部分生活都是通过社交活动来避免临床上所说的抑郁和焦虑。
Like other college students in the country Chloe who also happens to be my daughter
她也是我的女儿,就像美国的其他大学生一样
had to switch the remote studying and practice social distancing leaving her feeling helpless and isolated.
不得不换成远程学习和远离社交,折让让她感到无助和孤立。
Shes not alone according to developmental psychologist Colin Valenti.
据发展心理学家科林·瓦伦蒂说,她并不是个例。
So a lot of people who suffer from anxiety can easily pop into the what-ifs the catastrophizing
因此,很多患有焦虑症的人很容易就会把情况想象得很糟,
you know what I call awfulizing, the worst case scenarios,
我把这种情况叫做“糟糕的情况”,也就是最坏的情况
and so in my practice what were doing a lot of is working on kind of recognizing what can I control.
所以在我的实践中,我们所做的很多工作都是要认识到我能控制什么。
I can make myself a cup of hot tea, I can go out for a walk, I can do some deep breathing exercises.
我可以给自己泡一杯热茶,我可以出去散步,做一些深呼吸练习。
Chloe has focused on baking.I thrive on routine, the one of the reasons I like baking so much is its this thing with steps,
克洛伊专注于烘焙。我喜欢按部就班,我喜欢烘焙的原因之一就是它是有步骤的
and you have to kind of be conscious of what youre doing and it allows me to do a lot of things,
你必须意识到你在做什么,这让我可以做很多事情
it allows me to be creative you know, to try out new things even if they fail to taste something nice
它让我有创意,你知道的,尝试新事物,即使它们并不好吃。
and it allows me to feed people which is something I really like.
别人可以吃到,这是我真正喜欢的东西。
Baking highly depends on using the right ingredients and these days finding them on depleted grocery store shelves is a challenge.
烘焙在很大程度上取决于使用正确的原料,而现在,在断货的杂货店货架上找到它们是不容易的。
So this is the flour section as you see we have a huge selection to choose from.
这是面粉货架,正如你所看到的,我们有很多可供选择。
There is nothing and corn mill.
什么都没有,有玉米粉。
After venturing to three different stores she finally finds flour at a small neighborhood market. I would say 2 pounds.
在冒险去了三家不同的商店之后,她终于在附近的一个小市场找到了面粉。我想要2磅。
Is that right? yeah brilliant like two to three pounds something like that thank you.
可以吗?可以。对,就像两到三磅之类的,谢谢。
Back in the kitchen Chloe gets the pies ready for the oven.
回到厨房,克洛伊准备好馅饼放进烤箱。
Im like how it looks because it looks like most snow fall on the berries.
我喜欢它的样子,因为它看起来像雪落在浆果上。
Its been pretty. Food has this ability of really bringing people together.
很漂亮。食物有一种真正将人们团结在一起的能力。
The results are superb, a crusty fragrant berry pie, a creamy pumpkin pie and a spicy chocolate cake.
其结果是极好的,一个硬壳芬芳香甜浆果派,奶油南瓜派和一个辛辣巧克力蛋糕。
The family gathers around the table for a pie feast.
全家人围坐在桌子旁吃派。
This is so much better than math class.
这比数学课好多了。
This is a tangible proof that Ive done something today and that Im continuing to to push forward despite feeling kind of you know cruddy.
这是一个具体的证据,证明我今天已经做了一些事情,尽管有一些不舒服的感觉我会继续做。
I dont know what to choose, shelter at home, eat pies. Thank You Chloe.
我不知道该吃什么,在家吃馅饼,谢谢克洛伊。
What does that say life is all about how you I cant read.
那又能说明什么生活是关于我看不懂的你。
A life is all about how you handle Plan B.
生活就是你如何处理B计划。
Penelope Pulu VOA news Washington
VOA Penelope Pulu华盛顿报道