您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语听力 > VOA英语听力下载|VOA news > voa标准英语|美国之音常速英语下载|在线收听
正文
VOA常速英语:Navajo Nation Crisis
2020-07-03来源:和谐英语
Update Required
To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin.
我叫皮特·桑兹我是项目主任
and organizer of the Utah Navajo COVID Relief Program.We work under the Utah Navajo Health System.
我是犹他州纳瓦霍新冠病毒救济项目的主管和组织者。我们在犹他州纳瓦霍卫生系统工作。
The main purpose of our Relief Program is to deliver goods and home supplies, home food.
我们救济计划的主要目的是运送货物、家庭用品和家庭食品。
So we try our best to help those that are either quarantined or self-isolating themselves.
所以我们尽力帮助那些被隔离或自我隔离的人。
The virus has devastated the Navajo Nation
新冠病毒摧毁了纳瓦霍族
due to factors like lack of health infrastructure, lack of health resources,
有很多原因,比如缺乏卫生基础设施,缺乏卫生资源,
lack of running water to peoples homes and lack of electricity.
人们家里没有自来水,也没有电。
And there is a lot of tourism, there is a lot of people.
这里旅游业很发达,有很多人。
You know, it is a hub
我们这里是一个枢纽,
because people have to go through our reservation to get to these major areas.
因为人们必须途径我们的这里才能到达那些主要景区。
Our positive cases are rising right now.And you know the Utah portion of Navajo Nation is a hotspot as they designated.
我们的确诊病例正在上升。犹他州纳瓦霍族地区被认定为高风险地区。
But we are doing our best here to help people during these trying times.
但我们在这里尽最大努力帮助人们度过困难时期。
We drive a lot of miles, thats for sure.Some people live way out in the middle of nowhere,
我们开了很多英里了,这是肯定的。有些人住在很偏僻的地方,
miles from any store, miles from the nearest town.
离任何商店都有几英里,离最近的城镇也有几英里。
This is like off-off the grid.We grew up here and yet we find places weve never been before.
就像住在荒无人烟的地方。我们在这里长大,现在却发现了我们从未去过的地方。
Thanks. We dont have electric or water yet. So this one has electric in.
谢谢。我们还没有电和水。所以这个有电。
Gets really hot.
天气真的很热。
We meet a lot of beautiful people and we see a lot of nice, beautiful places as well.
我们邂逅了很多美好的人和地方。
We are unloading some donations
我们正在卸一些捐赠品,
Thanks. We dont have electric or water yet. So this one has electric in.
谢谢。我们还没有电和水。所以这个有电。
So, its quite challenging but we are almost halfway done.
所以,这还是比较困难的,但我们几乎完成了一半。
A lot of the people that are helping combat this virus are corporations, private donors.
很多公司和私人捐助者都在帮助我们抗击新冠病毒。
And the biggest part of this is to have a strong team
其中最重要的是要有一个强大的团队
because without a team, no one can do it by themselves.
因为脱离了团队,没有人能独自完成。
And the volunteers we have, I mean,
我们的志愿者,我是说,
we service all these communities because so many people want to help out.
我们为所有这些社区服务,因为有很多人想帮忙。
The great team that I have with project program coordinator, Sahar,
我和项目计划协调人萨哈尔的共同管理这个重要的团队,
my good friend, Sahar, she really helped me out.
萨哈尔也是我的好朋友,她帮了我很多忙。
We dont always have produce.We do today.It came, like, last minute, like, wow, surprise, like, lets go, get it out.
我们并不是每天都可以接受到捐赠的产品。我们今天有收到。有时候这些农产品在最后一刻才会送来,就好像一个惊喜,让我们赶快去看看里面有什么。
Every person that comes through our line is either a familiar face or a potential family member.
每一个加入我们行业的都是熟人或者是一些亲戚。
If you guys need anything else, just message.
如果你们还需要什么,就给我们发消息。
We make deliveries for elders, 65 and over, families in need,
我们为65岁及以上的老人和需要帮助的家庭送货,
and those who have tested positive here within the Utah Navajo community.
当然还有那些在犹他州纳瓦霍社区检测呈阳性的人。
This has kind of changed everything for me
这个工作改变了我的一切,
because I thought that this spring that I would be helping youth
我因为我以为今年春天我会帮上忙
learn the awesome world of filmmaking and I am now
我会帮助年轻人了解电影制作这个很酷的行业,
and I am now lifting, hoisting 50-pound bags of beans.
但现在我正在举着50磅的豆子送货。
Imagine a state the size of West Virginia with only 11 grocery stores.
想象一下,一个州的面积相当于西弗吉尼亚州,却只有11家杂货店。
Thats basically painting the picture of what we are experiencing here in the Navajo Nation.
这基本上描绘了我们在纳瓦霍族所经历的一切。
I believe as a Navajo Nation, whole count, theyre looking at over 4,000 cases.
在整个纳瓦霍族中,已经有超过4000多确诊病例了。
That has now surpassed, per capita, the number of cases from both New York City or New Jersey.
这已经超过了纽约市和新泽西州的人均病例数。
The Navajo Nation had received 600 million from the Federal Government.
纳瓦霍族从联邦政府那里得到了6亿美元。
However, that has not been spent.
然而,这笔资助还没有得到利用。
Its still in the planning phases.So this is not necessarily cash readily available to purchase supplies.
目前还在计划阶段。因此,这不像现金,随时可以购买物品。
Thats the last delivery.This is a woman that she hasnt had food for several days and she doesnt have transportation.
这是今天最后一次送货了。收货的女性已经好几天没吃东西了,也没有任何交通工具。
So happy to find you.
很高兴见到你。
Oh, yeah.Im here by myself.
哦,是的。我一个人住在这里。
Oh, just you? Yeah. I have a daughter that passed away what, two or three days ago.
哦,只有你?是啊。我有个女儿两三天前去世了。
Our funeral was over there. So Im here by myself. My grandson, I dont know
我们的墓地就在那边,所以我一个人住在这里。我的孙子,我不知道,
I think he is in Cortez with his girlfriend. Did you bury her over here at this yard?
我想他和他的女朋友在科尔特斯。你把她埋在这里的院子里了吗?
Yeah. Shes buried over there. Oh, no. From COVID? Huh?
她被埋在那边了。天呐,是得了新冠肺炎吗?什么?
Was she sick? No. There was nothing wrong with her at all.
她生病了吗?没有,她什么病都没有。
I dont know what happened to her.
我不知道发生了什么。
Im sorry. Yeah.
我很遗憾。是的。
And Spam and potatoes.
还有午餐肉和土豆。
Im glad you came by.It makes me happy to see somebody come over and talk to me because Im here by myself.
很高兴你来了。我很高兴看到有人过来和我说话,因为我一个人在这里。
Nobody to talk to. Some dog food.
没人可以说话。一些狗粮。
Thank you.They dont have any. They were hungry.
谢谢。它们没有吃的东西。都饿了。
You know, you just, you see somebody in trouble and you go.
你知道,我们只是看到了谁有困难任何就去帮助他。
You dont think about it.You just react.And thats what happened.
你不需要思考。你只需要行动。这就是我们现在做的。
Thats how it started for me.And its affected me deeply
我们的项目就是这样开始的。这份事业深深影响了我,
because you see people hurt and you see people hungry
因为你看到人们受伤,看到人们饥饿
or people asking for help and you see people who are sick with the virus
或者有人寻求帮助,你看到有人感染了新冠病毒,
and you know, it affects you.It moves you.
这就会影响你。它会感动你。
Ive never really thought I would have ever put something like this together
我从没想过我会把这些事情都放到一起去做,
because when you think of helping another person, you just think of like helping your neighbor.
因为当你想帮助别人时,你只会想到帮助你的邻居。
You know you never think helping a nation, part of it.
你从来没有想过帮助一整个国家,或者其中一部分。
What really helped is that I had a team behind me.It changed my life because everything that I got into was music or film
真正有帮助的是我背后的团队。它改变了我的生活,因为我之前接触的一切都是音乐或电影
and it drastically changed my career path.And I think its like a life lesson of some sort.
它彻底改变了我的职业道路。我觉得这就像是某种人生经历。
You think you know who you are but you know,
你以为你知道自己是谁,
life will smack you inside your head out of nowhere and youll be like, "No, you dont."
生活会在你的脑海里的某一处敲打你,然后你幡然醒悟,“不,你不是那个人。”
相关文章
- VOA常速英语:日增20万确诊病例,印度疫情失控
- VOA常速英语:美国驱逐10名俄罗斯外交官
- VOA常速英语:US Marks One Year of Pandemic Shutdown with Hope, Concern
- VOA常速英语:US Senate Nears Vote on $1.9 Trillion Biden COVID Aid Package
- VOA常速英语:What Is Clubhouse and Why Did It Get So Popular?
- VOA常速英语:Thermal Water Helps Recovering COVID Patients
- VOA常速英语:Deadly Drug Overdoses Epidemic Rages On
- VOA常速英语:International Women’s Day Marks Year of Increased Hardships for Women Worldwide
- VOA常速英语:US States Relax Restrictions, Health Officials Warn Against It
- VOA常速英语:Virginia Starts Reopening Schools for In-Person Learning