和谐英语

VOA常速英语:Thinner Blue Line

2020-07-09来源:和谐英语
So, here we have me graduating from the police academy.
这张照片是我从警校毕业的时候拍的。
This is my chief at the time.Quite happy to have a gun and a badge.
这是当时的局长。当时拿到警徽和配枪的时候非常高兴。
I was working on the bus. We used to wear plain clothes on the bus.
这是我在公交车上出镜。以前在公交车上我们都穿便服。
And thats me with the general manager. I had just made sergeant.
这是我和总干事在公交车上一起拍的。那时我刚刚晋升警长。
I remember being the only African-American female in that group of promotees.
我记得我当时是警队里唯一一个被提拔的黑人女警员。
I remember the levels of competitiveness
我记得当时的竞争很激烈,
and the gratification that I was able to compete at that level and excel.
我也很感激,能在那种级别的竞争中脱颖而出。
My name is Tracy Simmons and I am a retired Deputy Chief of the Metro Transit Police Department.
我叫特蕾西·西蒙斯,是地铁交通警察局的退休副局长。
I served there for over 25 years in various capacities.
我在警局里以各种身份工作了25年。
I came up through the ranks
我从最低的头衔一路走来,
and I retired at the rank of Deputy Chief
退休时已是警局副局长,
and I was the first African-American woman to reach that rank at my police agency.
我也是第一个在警局里达到这个级别的非裔美国人。
It was very intimidating for a young woman, especially a young black woman.
这对一个年轻的女性,尤其是年轻的黑人女性来说是非常可怕的。
I was in a highly, you know, Anglo workplace with majority male and it was challenging.
这是一个以白人和男性为止的工作环境,所以挑战非常大。
You had to get in to fit in, to get along and really, you really still werent a part of.
你努力去融入,想要与同事好好相处,但是始终不是其中一员。
Be clear.You know, in the police department, there was rampant sexism, rampant racism.
这一点必须要清楚。要知道,在警局里,性别歧视和种族主义都是相当猖獗的。
There were remarks made in roll calls that, you know, I wouldnt dare repeat.
他们在点名的时候会说出一些言论,这些话我至今都不敢重复。
And as I was there, because I was, because I was there,
当我就在那里,正因为我在那里听到了,
I got to be a voice for things that needed to change and be different.
我要为那些需要改变的事情发声。
Therell be a certain segment of racism because we come from those same communities.
因为很多警察来自同一个群体,所以会有一定程度的种族歧视。
Police officers come from those same communities
如果一群警察来自己同一个群体,
and they bring along with them their belief systems, their worldviews and their cultural experiences.
他们就会带来自己的信仰体系,世界观和文化体验。
Its, I think its come to a head.I think theres a lot of things that we get to see now
这种歧视我想已经到了顶点了。我想现在我们已经可以看清很多事了,
because of technology that has occurred for many, many years.
因为一些技术已经出现了很多年了。
And that now its kind of in our face.
这些事情就仿佛出现在我们眼前。
We all had an opportunity to see George Floyd, you know, be murdered right on television.
现在我们都能通过电话,看到乔治·弗洛伊德被杀害的全过程。
Ive never seen anything like it in my life and I dont think most Americans have.
我这辈子从没见过这样的事,我想大多数美国人也没有见过。
I think though, our country is in a break downand I think that around police brutality and law enforcement,
但我认为,我们的国家正处于崩溃之中我认为在美国警察对黑人暴力执法的方面,
I would tell the protesters that I support them wholeheartedly.
我想告诉美国的示威者,我全心全意支持他们。
I would tell them to be thoughtful and be aware that there are other stories and other spaces.
我会告诉他们要深思熟虑,要知道事情有多面性,有多重可能。
Thats just part of the story but its not the real story.It doesnt tell the story of the ten police officers that got killed last week.
这可能只是故事的一部分,但不是真实的、完整的故事。这件事不会告诉你上周十名警察遇害。
It doesnt tell that story.Or guy down the street that got shot by other assailants
它不会包含这个故事。或者街上的一个人被一群凶手射杀了,
who the police locked up and now theyre in jail.
警察将这些凶手绳之以法,现在都进了监狱。
So, there are a lot of stories here to be told.
所以,我们有很多需要讲述的故事。
And so, Im hopeful.I do think that there are definite ways that we can begin to change the culture
因此我也充满希望。我确实认为我们可以通过一些明确的方式来改变某些文化
and we get to just, you know, retire out those that want to hold onto the old ways.
我们要做的就是,淘汰掉那些想坚持老路的人。
Its not like….Its changing.And those that arent ready to change need to move on.
这不是...现在情况正在发生改变。那些没有准备好改变的人也要向前看了。
They need to go.
他们得让位了。
Because he changed not only this country, not only the United States.
因为他不仅改变了这个国家,不仅改变了美国。
He changed the world.George Floyd changed the world.
他还改变了世界。乔治·弗洛伊德改变了这个世界。
We get to say what legacy George Floyds death has on us as a people.
我们要去讲述乔治·弗洛伊德的死给我们这个民族留下了什么遗产。
As long as people feel like it isnt going to die out like all the rest of them,
人们可能会相信这样的悲剧不会再发生到他们身上,
because those four officers will go to jail for a very long time.
因为那四名警官会蹲很久的监狱。
But it doesnt mean I feel super safe about my son driving at night. It just doesnt.
但我仍然对我儿子晚上一个人开车非常不放心,这种情况还没有终结。